Age 70 and still sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
After posting the PopTop Thread, I got to wondering how many of us, that are 70 and older, are stilll having fun sailing.:dance:

I just turned 70 this year and have been sailing my 1988 MacGregor 26D for about 5 years. I sail solo most of the time and have no problem rigging the boat although I am tired when I get home after a day on the lake.

I have added a RudderCraft Rudder, PVC Furler, gas struts for the PT and Rotating Mast to the boat plus Goal Posts on the trailer for loading. All lines go back to the cockpit and the outboard starts everytime on the first or second pull. My wife loves to sail with me, when she is not working to support my toys, and my kids go with me when they can get free.

So, How many of us are there?:confused:

Happy Father's Day!

cscott

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S - 1993 Aumsville, OR
I well be 77 in Sept. and still sailing. July 14. 2012 will put my 2007 26M in the water at Olympia, WA for the first time since her purchase last Nov. for a 3+ week sail in the south sound. The 26M is replacing my 26S that I bought in 2007. Have been sailing off and on since the 70's.

Chuck

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Oril, thats great and good for you. I'm working on it, only 66yrs here and still pulling her to the water and raising the mast every weekend. :dance:

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I am proud to say that I am now a member of the GYSS. The Geezer Yacht Sailing Society. It ain't the years it's the mileage. Been messin' with this ridiculous and ever so rewarding pastime for 43 years. Please indulge me while I recount this true story. Bob and Tom were sailing buddies since they were teenagers. They sailed together for 50 years. They always wondered if there is sailing in heaven. Bob went before Tom to the big regatta. One night Tom was wakened by a "Psst". "Who's there" Tom said. "Tom, it's me Bob." Tom asked, "Bob did you get to heaven?" Bob replied, "Sure did and guess what? There is sailing in heaven. Clear sky every day 8-10 kts and fair seas." "That's great said Tom." Bob said, "That's not all Tom, I have some more great news. You're crewing with me tommorow!"

Dec 27, 2011
mercator 30 FL
Aged 75;just took my 30 ft Mercator from the St John's in Fl to Marathon Fl, Out on the ocean for part of the trip. TYhe reason its in Marathon is so I can get out to the ocean and sail more often..

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Hey Guys, This is so cool to hear your stories..I like this GYSS Club! Seventy is the new Fifty if you stay active.

Thanks again for your responses.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Hey Guys, This is so cool to hear your stories..I like this GYSS Club! Seventy is the new Fifty if you stay active.

Thanks again for your responses.
Hi Bob add me to the GYSS. 77 last week. been boating on and off since 15

I still solo and have most of the boat rigged to the cockpit with more to complete. Haven't yet finished the furler design you sent me.

Aging challenges absorbed a few months this year but back in the saddle -- cockpit again.

I love humour, plus sailing, creativity, plus sailing and varying activities plus sailing did I mention sailing?--- use it or loose it.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Thanks again guys.

I think we can say that the way to a long a happy life is the sail as much as you can, as long as you can.

Stay safe,

Bob

70 years young

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm only 47 and I'm tired after a day on the lake as well...

Dec 10, 2010
Hunter H26 South Haven, MI
Just hit 70 last Friday, and sail almost every weekend. Usually solo on Sat and with the first mate (and dogs) on Sun. We sail Lake Michigan and love it. Been doing for 25 years, and have no plans to quit.

I also canoe and camp, and am doing my first solo trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness in Sept.

I'd rather do anything outside than do anything inside!

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I'll be 70 in Jan. I sail my Mac 25 whenever I can and sail on the museums topsail schooner "Californian" a couple times a month. (Google her, she's worth a look.)

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I'm in my early sixties and have always dreamed I'd be sailing well into my seventies. Well shit happens and cancer has prevented me from sailing for the last three seasons. I'm still hoping to get out there yet.
Moral of the story: sail early and sail often, you never know what lies ahead of you. Sure glad I had over thirty years of sailing.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
Only 55 here, but my FIL works as my helmsman most of the time, at least while I'm doing housekeeping chores under way (fenders, furling/dowsing, etc.), and he's almost 80. Funny thing is, he went from a big trawler, to my H340, and it was his suggestion to get into a Mac motorsailer. :D

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
LOL, I love this board... one of the few places I feel like the youngster!!!

(@ 54)

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Good thread.

As my Daughters 77th birthday card to me said. "Growing old is compulsory but Dad don't Grow up"

MrBill ---signs of aging are many but the one I like is "when the young folk you know start looking old", ----then tell 'em--- he he.

I was getting dressed just recently and went to put my underpants on. Half way up my legs I realized I had already got a pair on. DUH

Phil V been there with the Crud as I call it. Get on that boat even if its in the drive way. Have a day end drink in it as I do, it cheers you up or moor it and do the same moored take your supper too. Best of luck fighting the crud. Enjoy each moment.

I followed Sir Francis Chichester's around the world trip in the 60's. As he arrived back in Britain his wife was motored out to be the first to greet him. Before he docked they were arguing like hell. I hurt my sides laughing.

Keep breathing.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
Last year I sold my Mac X to a terrific gentleman on his 70th birthday. He wanted to try sailing and his kids bought it for him. Awesome!

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Morning Coffee

Good thread.

hil V been there with the Crud as I call it. Get on that boat even if its in the drive way. Have a day end drink in it as I do, it cheers you up or moor it and do the same moored take your supper too. Best of luck fighting the crud. Enjoy each moment.
Right On Mic!

I like to enjoy my morning coffee sitting on the boat in my side yard and watch the sun come up.. Nice!!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Ive spent enough time in the boat on the hard that my neighbor came up with a name for it "backyard sailing".. Guilty.

Im in training for the GYSS. You guys under 55 are just pups!

(Im 56 some days going on 17, some days going on 97)

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
55 and my butt is dragging after a day at the lake. Yesterday we rode the motorcycle to the lake. Very hot and humid. AC in the pick up is a better deal. Traded in a Mac 25 for a center cockpit 32 ketch. That also is more to do. The Mac was a little easier for one person.

Who here likes to just sit at the dock and fiddle and relax? That works at any age.

Status
Not open for further replies.