Aftermarket Rudder System Help

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
Hello Hivemind,

I'm hoping someone can help me out as I'm stumped as to the proper install of my rudder. I purchased the boat last fall and there seemed to be a mix of equipment inside, both tiller and wheel steering.
I believe the larger of the two rudders belongs on the boat, but I can't figure out how to hook it up. help? please?
IMG_20200415_150416.jpg
IMG_20200415_150422.jpg
IMG_20200415_171911.jpg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Don't know about "wheel" steering on that rig but it seems to have two spade "kick-up" rudders.
One of them may be a replacement? One of them may not fit the slot? One of them might be homemade or off another boat? One may be for shoal situations, the other for deep water.
Both of them need repainting!
Try fitting the left one with a temporary bolt through the big hole half way down the SS frame.
The sheaves are for the line attached to the left rudder to lift and lower the spade once it's attached.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well it looks like there should be a "tiller" that fits through that rubber gasket thingy. Then what? McGregor is still around right? maybe they have tech support? Lots of people have lots of time at the moment.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
Sorry, used bracket twice whilst refering to two different brackets. The Wheel (PO modification) is an Edson, but from what Ive looked at, the aluminum rudder bracket is not OEM nor is it Edson. Even if its homemade, it seems very overbuilt. I know there was also an 18 gallon fuel tank and a Seaward propane system in what is meant as a trailer sailer, so I think perhaps someone was trying to turn her into something she isnt.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Could one be a dagger / center board and one the rudder? I would assume the holes would line up properly on the one that fits the bracket......

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
The left one has a small piece of line on it. This may be the rudder - see the small block and cam cleat. With a single bolt the rudder would pivot up - perhaps the line holds it down in position until released.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
I'm pretty sure the smaller is the factory rudder, and I may be able to rig somehow, but I also know that the oem rudder combined with the design of the old macs lead to some heavy weather helm, hence why im endevouring to figure out the redesigned rudder.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
The one on the left is the original. The original bracket could be flimsy, but omg that one is way overkill. To stiffen the original up, could bolt a piece of treated 2*4 in it and go sailing.

At some point I’m replacing my original with the ruddercraft, but that takes $.

The one above on the right is not an original daggerboard either. I just can’t match up the two bolts or pins on it with the hole in that monstrous bracket.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
Got it all sorted out, managed to track down the second owner of the boat who installed the wheel and improved rudder. Ive got the step by step to properly rig the rudder. one step closer to getting back in the water!