Aft Storage Locker, Lazarette, Lid Support

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 410 Severna Park, MD MD
Hello, I have a 1998 Hunter 410 and the chart table has a lid with a flexible holder when I open it. I am looking for the name of that holder and trying to find one similar that is large enough to hold open my aft storage locker lids. I dislike using the bungee around a stanchion idea but I dislike the lid slamming down on my head or fingers even more and would love to install some spring like holder, similar to this: T-H MARINE Lid Support Spring, 7/16" x 8 1/2"L | West Marine but I'm afraid the spring is going to rust very quickly or "things" may get caught in the springs when the cover is closed.

Any other ideas are welcomed.
Thanks
Scott

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Perhaps a gas lid support strut, similar to those used on refrigerator lids.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Gas springs would be a solution but you will need closed dimension. open dimension, spring force when open

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The current issue of Soundings magazine has an article about installing gas springs on a hatch. I didn't read it but I guess there's more to it than I thought.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 410 Severna Park, MD MD
I think the spring is the best idea. Stainless spring so it is not likely to degrade very quickly. And I think a gas strut in that environment would be much worse.
Thanks Rich, I think a gas strut would also cause the lid to go up slowly and I sometimes need quicker access. I missed that stainless detail.

Now I just need to see the storage area and determine how to attach the spring ends. Unfortunately I'm 2.5 hrs away form my boat so it's tough to get there in the winter.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I put one of those springs in my top-loading refrigerator to hold the hinged lid open when on STB tack. Works really well. Got it on Amazon for under $20. It had a bracket at each end of the spring that gave lots of options for attaching it.

I had to replace the gas spring on my Seldon rigid vang…and there is a lot to it…

Length when compressed, length extended, end fittings, rod diameter, force (in Newtons)…luckily I had the old spring and could get the measurements. I knew the spring force of the original spring, otherwise I would have had no idea how to determine the force in newtons.

Greg