Affixing boat name decal on Cat 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
No, a documented vessel involves certification of the ownership as a us flagged vessel, albeit a recreational one, and you become, in effect, floating piece of the united states when you float across the line into international waters. It costs some money to have your vessel documented and is not necessary or warranted unless you plan to cruise REGULARLY or extensively in foreign water. I go to the Canadian gulf islands and barkley sound on a semi annual basis and being documented is no real advantage-- I still have to submit to the surely looks from the customs guys who clear you in.

In Puget sound the USCG could careless where you name and hailing port are as long as you have one-- they are very interested in how close you get to the ferry and once you've raised their interest you damn well better be ship shape and in compliance when they board you, as board you they will.

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
Bad O -- in Washington state, you have to have a state registration. You can be documented or not, neither the state of the USCG care about that-- but both the County Sherrif and the USCG WILL cite you for no registration. So maybe this is a state by state issue? In your state you maybe can choose your poison-- other states there is no choice. No judgements needed on what's better-- it is what it is.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
maybe this will help

Undocumented vessels must display their CF numbers in a specifc way on each side of the boat..... documented do not.
This is from the California motor vehicles site:
An undocumented vessel is registered by the DMV and does not have a marine certificate issued by the U.S. Coast Guard.
A documented vessel is registered and issued a marine certificate by the U.S. Coast Guard. It does not require DMV registration.

You are required to register your undocumented vessel and pay applicable fees before it is placed in California waters.

Apr 10, 2008
Catalina 30 Detroit
Dear Bad O.

Unpowered vessels, including all sailboats with no motor, are not required to be registered or documented. That would include those thousands of sunfish and lasers you mentioned.
Documenting is for commercial vessels and those that do a lot of international travel.

The only other main reason people attempt to document, rather than register their boat, is to avoid sales taxes and registration fees. As some of the other members have noted, many states are catching on and making documented boats also pay to register and pay the fees.

Yes, the vast majority of recreational sailboats are as un-documented as a California fruit picker!

Please get it together.

T

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
Bob,
Tradition holds that you remove all traces of the boat's former name from the vessel before launching or renaming it. There's respect and karma at stake, so don't botch it. You should really consider doing a naming ceremony.

All my PO's were good record keepers and I found out at one point our boat had been documented. Since we're not anticipating leaving the US, there wasn't any point in going through the USCG rigamarole. All those records are now kept at our home. As long as I have the MD registration numbers and the sticker on both sides of the bow, nobody cares if there's even a name on it at all.

However, I care, and I "feel" the boat cares, so we've chosen to place the boat's name and homeport on the stern per tradition, but don't have requirements on size or font. This year, I'm also working out a celtic knot graphic to put on the side quarters which will give some additional recognition on the water (check the .pdf below the photo). Also, the hull #, "3518" is our sail number, displayed on the mainsail just below the C-30 diamond.

Rob

Attachments

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
JAB, everything you say may be completely on point but your attitude is so unnecessary, especially to Bad Obsession! Come on!
Lose that and I'm interested in what you have to say?

Last edited:
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Some states MAY require registering boats that don't have motors to register. In Virginia they do not require that. My experiences speak for my region and my area. I know that MOST of the cruisers that I come across are documented. This is evident by the lack of registration decals on the front of the boat. Maybe in your region it is different.

I am not surprised that some states attempt to require you to have both because the state wants to get their money too. Since this is not the case in my region and renewing the documentation is free after the up front cost, it is cost effective to document if you intend to keep the boat for a few years. Since I have had my Catalina 30 since 2005 I believe that I have ended up saving money since I haven't had to pay state registration.

It is true that documentation can help you avoid taxes. That being said, I get a really wonderful tax bill every year on my Virginia Personal Property Taxes. As long as I intend to keep my boat I am sure that I will end up paying more in taxes than I paid for my boat!

As with anything else, there are pros and cons to documenting a boat or registering it. I am by no means an expert on this matter but I can tell you what I have learned from talking to other cruisers (Oh yeah....I have been on this board for a few years too and spent most of my live sailing, racing, and cruising).

It is also easier to put your letters on the boat when it is on the hard. If it is on a trailer just make the right measurements to make sure it is straight and bingo! I did mine when I was out of the water but that was minor because I only changed my hailing port, not the name after I bought her. Others are right, you should remove the old name completely. Call us superstitious but it is better to have good luck at sea than to not be superstitious and have bad luck.

Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
rbmcintire said:
Bob,
Tradition holds that you remove all traces of the boat's former name from the vessel before launching or renaming it. There's respect and karma at stake, so don't botch it. You should really consider doing a naming ceremony.
I read all those stories about boat-name superstitions, and quickly decided that if I'm going to buy into that nonsense, then it won't be long before I'm buying into even larger myths, which I won't offend by mentioning here... :)

Ceremonies to the boat gods? Nah...not me.

(with all respect to those of you who subscribe to such things!)

Bob

Mar 11, 2010
OK, I understand your seriousness on supertitions... I, uh, just um, maybe only heard, sort of, that Ol' King Neptune had some cousins and some Wind bro's down on a Tennesse lake that enjoyed sharing of some champagne in celebrating a new hull....;) No harm in spillin' a little...

Rob

Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
rbmcintire said:
OK, I understand your seriousness on supertitions... I, uh, just um, maybe only heard, sort of, that Ol' King Neptune had some cousins and some Wind bro's down on a Tennesse lake that enjoyed sharing of some champagne in celebrating a new hull....;) No harm in spillin' a little...

Rob
Nah, don't like champagne... :)

But really... if I'm going to start believing in boat gods it won't be long before I'm watching for black cats, tossing salt over my shoulder, and... well... other myths... :)

If, on the other hand, my boat ends up at the bottom of Old Hickory Lake, I'll buy a Buddha and rub its belly... :)

Mar 11, 2010
LT, now you're getting me worried. Don't throw off sailing traditions without some serious contemplation of the ramifications. Maybe throwing down some brews and throwing off your socks (on the Equinox) might help you get things into the right perspective:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvwBNNzjQY

"Good Luck" ;)
Everything still on for 28th delivery?

Feb 5, 2012
rbmcintire said:
LT, now you're getting me worried. Don't throw off sailing traditions without some serious contemplation of the ramifications. Maybe throwing down some brews and throwing off your socks (on the Equinox) might help you get things into the right perspective:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvwBNNzjQY

"Good Luck" ;)
Everything still on for 28th delivery?
I might have to douse my stomach lining in ceremonial alcohol--just as a safety precaution, of course...

So far as I know the boat will be in Nashville on the 27th, then will be wet on the 28th, and I can hardly wait. Went out and took a lesson on a 35-foot J105 yesterday, and found it easier to sail than the Cat 22 we've been using.... big fun.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
In the State of WA it's my understanding that documented vessels still must pay the state annual registration fee, they just don't have to display the registration numbers.

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
LT- I put my letters on my old Cal 34 in the water. I don't know what your timing situation is, but you don't wan to rush it. You will wan to make sure you get things on straight, etc. the drive may be anxious to get to his next load. It's not a huge deal.

Feb 5, 2012
Brad on Vashon said:
LT- I put my letters on my old Cal 34 in the water. I don't know what your timing situation is, but you don't wan to rush it. You will wan to make sure you get things on straight, etc. the drive may be anxious to get to his next load. It's not a huge deal.
We'll probably have plenty of time; he told me the day was mine, so I'm going to try to put on all 3 decals whilE he's getting the boat re-commissioned. I'm beside myself with anticipation... have a growing pile of stuff for the boat. First priority: espresso machine!

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
Espresso! How big is this thing?!? I just got my C30. And I have to say I have been excited as you.

Remember o bring plenty of making tape. Position the letters then stand back and get a look. Mine were rely pretty easy.

Feb 5, 2012
Brad on Vashon said:
Espresso! How big is this thing?!? I just got my C30. And I have to say I have been excited as you.

Remember o bring plenty of making tape. Position the letters then stand back and get a look. Mine were rely pretty easy.
It's tiny; I've had one here at home for about 5 years, don't even own a coffeemaker. The machine uses tiny pods--not the Keurig--each pod costs abut 54 cents.

It's called the Nespresso; here's a link: http://mobile.nespresso.com/machine/fiche/id/2073/p1/129/p2/599

Nothing sounds better than a slow cruise on a morning with a fresh espresso or cappuccino... :)

Boat gets wet on Tuesday and I can hardly wait!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.