Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Great view of beautiful boats. :thumbup:

Nice camera on that drone.

Great way to televise a sailboat race.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
hey guys, thought you might like these, shot them with my drone last summer, this is the 1912 Alden schooner WENDAMEEN and the 1924 Alden schooner BAGHEERA up here in Portland, Maine.

Rare to be alone like that, can almost see our morning in Falmouth.

All U Get

Jan 30, 2018
Hinckley 38 Portland ME
Why are the main masts so tall?
so they can fly topsails. BAGHEERA has a main gaff topsail she flies regularly during the summer. WENDAMEEN back in the 20's and 30's had jackyard topsails for both her main and fore.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I'd like to see photos of BAGHEERA and WENDAMEEN while they have their topsails rigged. My sense of aesthetics sees the boats in Post #1 as having stumpy and clunky proportions. Maybe schooners just don't appeal to me.

Jan 30, 2018
Hinckley 38 Portland ME
I'd like to see photos of BAGHEERA and WENDAMEEN while they have their topsails rigged. My sense of aesthetics sees the boats in Post #1 as having stumpy and clunky proportions. Maybe schooners just don't appeal to me.
I'll dig out some more photos of WENDAMEEN, for her LOA she does have a lot of beam but I would say she's far from clunky. WENDAMEEN is one of aldens very early schooner designs and he drew a lot of his design queues, especially early on from the working sailing vessels primarily fishing schooners. WENDAMEEN still has a lot of the stout work boat lines to her.

Jan 30, 2018
Hinckley 38 Portland ME
here's a bunch more photos of WENDAMEEN, as you can see you still has a lot of fishing schooner deign queues. however I would say that while stout and not as refined as later Alden deigns she is still quite graceful.

here's an on deck shot where you can very clearly see that she is very beamy but carries it cleanly to her ends.

and just for fun here's a shot of BAGHEERA with her main gaff topsail up.