Advice Ref. Try to Fix It or Part It Out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2012
Islander I-37 . Motor Sailor Bonifay
Pic's. of -- Catalina 25, Model 25-C, S/N 3036 ** I do not know the yr. perhaps someone can tell me the yr. ? ________ year of manuf. ?

I bought a house on 5 acres and acquired a sailboat in the deal. The sailboat is a -- Catalina, Model 25-C, S/N 3036. I have taken some pictures to show the worst of the damage, the boat went through Katrina (so I was told).

The man that had the boat passed away and I did get the title from his heirs. The boat has -- Zero Gear.. No Mast or Boom, No Rigging, Nothing @ All !

Damage (see pictures if they process in) in several areas. The worst area is at the rub rail at mid ship, right side, about one foot long, and 3 1/2 inches in height. I see other areas that had a patch of fiberglass applied to the holes. I doubt that any real effort was done to ensure a lasting repair, need to be done again (properly). Boat need's a rudder, out board mtr., C. G. Equip., sails, just everything. Also, the Required Repairs will take some time and I figure about $ 250.00 for materials. The hull needs redone and another $ 1 K for materials to refinish the boat.

I have read that this model boat has decent reviews for coastal use. I live in Bonifay, FL 32425, about 65 miles from Panama City. Also, I have a nice 2 axle boat trailer that could be adapted to haul this sailboat without a major deal for this swing keel boat.

However, I can buy this same boat (in fair condition) and one with trailer for $ 3,500.00. I have priced $$ everything out and it's not good. I get (quickly) to $ 3,500.00 when I (used) buy all the rigging, sails, life jackets & C. G. req'd. gear and rudder.

So, I'm asking for some Advice. I'd don't need to hear the smart butt type comments. I think it comes down to buying of the replacement gear at a fair price... say $ 1,500.00. If I refinish the boat and complete all the repairs.. I will have a good boat (labor of love). I will have a boat that will give me good service and worth it in the end ?!? I figure about $ 4.5 to 5.0 K with No Labor.

Thanks,

Avery

[ HighFly_27 ] email -- arbakerjr@hotmail.com

Attachments

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
$4.5K - $5K into this, and your time is worth nothing, or $3500 for a decent one thats water ready sitting on a trailer? That you could probably go and sea trial tomorrow? What is the question again?

Sometimes you really do need to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Oct 8, 2012
The (1) on a traler (for $ 3,500) is 900 miles away, no motor and the hull has a lot of blisters; overall one could/ may say it's in fair condition (minus). It was kicked back from the 1st ebay purchase and now the last buyer want's to sell it. So, I'm thinking the hull may be a little worst than declared and 900 miles away.. so looking at it 1st is not an easy option.

To declare my Intent, Looking to Get the Input from Folks that have repaired -- Hull Damage. 2nd, looking to find some gear by getting the word out, to buy the mast, boom, and other stuff here & there & in the price range of -- $ 1,500.00 to 2,000.00. 3rd option -- locate a boat with a bad hull and buy it for a fair price and with a transfer to my boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Boat need's a rudder, out board mtr., C. G. Equip., sails, just everything. Also, the Required Repairs will take some time and I figure about $ 250.00 for materials. The hull needs redone and another $ 1 K for materials to refinish the boat.
So, I'm asking for some Advice. I'd don't need to hear the smart butt type comments.
Avery, it appears the previous owner has ALREADY parted out the valuable equipment.... Mast, rudder, sails, outboard and rigging....... and left you with the shell...... I love working on boats as much as anyone..... but this one is just not worth the time and effort.....

Of course, you could do other things with it.... such as make it into a play house for the kids, or a big planter, or a water trough for your livestock........ but then that's the smart butt answer you warned us about.... but it's not a bad idea to think of alternative uses and spend your money on a boat that's ready to sail. Here's some listings:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...Catalina 25&view_records=1&sb=date&so=descend

http://www.saylorvilleyachtclub.org...alina-25-for-sale&catid=36:for-sale&Itemid=33

http://sailingtexas.com/201201/scatalina25293.html

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Just new standing rigging would be $600, looks like most of the boat is already gone and most of what they left you is broken.

Oct 8, 2012
I fully agree, the boat is dead due... to All the Missing Gear. I never had the total story on the boat, just knew that the man died. I saw that someone started work on it and it looked crude. I have an eye sore that need's to be hauled away or fixed. I have found similar size boats that have issues and are cheap. I had thought of finding a boat with a bad hull but good gear and transfer it from one to the other.

I did look at boats that were listed (above) and most of them are too far away to buy & bring back to FL. Funny, you mentioned about the boat being a play house and it was that with the previous owners. I have found some boats in my area that I might bite on at a fair price of $ 3.5 to 5.9 K. Some have slips and just 65 miles away and would be my best choice and I'd be out on the water tomorrow.

Really, I have just bid on a Seidelmann 34 and if I had got my last bid in (computer glitch) gone thru in time, then this Catalina would not be an issue. Also, looking at a Westerly 25 that's nice and priced right. My 1 year goal is to sale down to Grenada from Panaman City, FL. I plan on a 6 to 9 mo. trip and will be single handed. So, I need a boat with a purchase price of $ 10 to 15 K, another 10 K for boat outfitting & smaller type repairs, about $ 25 K and ready to go. I have more money but need to hang on to it... and not tie it up in a boat. I'm retired, 64 YO now and just want to live out my life with some parting smile's as I prepare to depart this world. I have a big shop and well tooled in PA and transporting everything to FL .. lttle by little. I have a tractor truck and have hauled sail boats a time or two when I was trucking in 48 states. So, I'm looking to buy a HD sail boat trailer too. I've seen them for sale at good prices (3 to 5 K range) to haul the bigger sail boats. So, my plan, is to be ... be ready when a good deal comes along and the right boat at a great price too.

My Joke for Today... How about a Catalina 25 Ft. Jacuzzi... imbeded next to my swimming pool, better than a watering trough .. ain't got no cows (not yet).

Apr 19, 2010
Catalina 30 City Island, NY
I have all the parts you need (new rigging, good sails, Honda 15 outboard) attached to an older Catalina 27 hull floating off a mooring in City Island, NY. It will cost less than the C25 on the trailer and still provide you with an owners share of pride in doing a few minor repairs, like making covers for the cabin cushions, tucking away some loose wiring, painting, etc.

You can probably re-use some of the instrumentation from the C25 on the C27. If the C25 keel is all lead, you can make several hundred $ selling that. With some judicious cuts from a circular saw, you should be able to fit the rest of the C25 hull in a 12 yard rollaway container, along with any other junk you don't know how to get rid off.

Keep the teak bits. You never know when you need to make a nice handle or bit of shelving.

Send me a PM or see my classified in the for-sale section.

Oct 8, 2012
What is the (firm) Price ?

I just bought a Islander 37 MS and change my plans about doing anything with the Catalina 25, it's swing keel.

Thank You

Avery Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.