advice please, atomic 4 engine vs outboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyvy

Jun 20, 2012
islander 28 oceanside
Hello. i am new to this site, and to sailing. our islander 28's atomic 4 engine needs $2500 repair + new water pump. is it an option to install an outboard instead? We have a tiller and i'm not sure how this will work for steering. Any input would be greatly appreciated !!!

Oct 31, 2009
Islander 28 Blaine, Wa.
There is some pertinent information in this previous thread. http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=115704. Since that time I have experimented with a bracket to hang our 6hp Tohatsu off the swim ladder as an emergency measure. We reinforced the swim ladder and put 6"x6"x1/4" UHDPE backing plates on the swim ladder attachments but even with these measures, I would never consider this a way to do much more but get you a few miles out of trouble. In the end, just "hipping up" the dinghy would probably work equally well but at least the bracket allows you to stay in the boat. The Islander's sloping transom makes mounting an outboard difficult and a bit expensive but possible. Our 6hp engine moves the boat but it's about as small as you would want to go. Another thing to consider is that the outboard's fuel efficiency is terrible compared to our Universal diesel moving that large a hull. A tough call but if you don't already have a suitable outboard and have to buy one plus the swing bracket and installation, you're starting to reach the point where the total cost of the outboard system is pretty close to the price you mentioned for fixing or replacing the Atomic 4. Finally, as to steering, going forward will be no problem but reverse, as in all sailboats, could be an adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.