Advice on vinegar or acid to clean heat exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
I have a Yanmar 3GM30F. I read somewhere that a good periodic maintenance chore for a freshwater cooled engine is to run a bucket of water through your seawater system that contains vinegar or a bit of muriatic acid to dissolve the accumulated growth in the heat exchanger tubes. Has anyone tried this? And if so, do you have a recommended concentration? In the spirit of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," my engine temp seems OK, I'm getting what appears to be good seawater flow out my exhaust, so I don't want to take the end caps off the heat exchanger to do a visual inspection of the core, but I'm thinking running some acid through it might be a good idea.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
At my annual maintenance, I run a gallon of white vinegar through the heat exchanger. Usually some deposits come out when I again run raw water through it. I only let it sit in the system for a minute or less. However, despite doing it for 15 years, I have no scientific basis for recommending it.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Admittedly new to inboards

But the idea of not opening your heat exchanger to check it annually seems like a bad tactical decision.

I opened mine up to clean it last weekend and the photo below is what I found. My boat is a 2001 and I am the second owner (since December :D). The PO changed the zinc every year and still look at the build up of zinc in the exchanger.

Also, take a look at what Maine Sail has to say about engine maintenance.

Attachments

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
But the idea of not opening your heat exchanger to check it annually seems like a bad tactical decision.

I opened mine up to clean it last weekend and the photo below is what I found. My boat is a 2001 and I am the second owner (since December :D). The PO changed the zinc every year and still look at the build up of zinc in the exchanger.

Also, take a look at what Maine Sail has to say about engine maintenance.
The Yanmar 3GM30F uses an all bronze heat exchanger, and doesn't have zincs. Other than a wayward impellor blade, marine growth and calcification should be the only thing I should encounter, which acid should address. You make a good point though, guess I'll stop by the parts dealer and pick up some gaskets so I can do an inspection. My reservation comes from my previous experience with this engine, where trying to fix something that isn't broken by doing routine preventative maintenance often seems to turn into a cascading sequence of issues.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
The PO changed the zinc every year and still look at the build up of zinc in the exchanger.

By your picture, it looks to me like the build up of zinc (actually the pile of it) is because the PO did not inspect/change the zincs frequently enough. In a addition to getting generally smaller in size while doing its job, a new pencil zinc becomes spongy and soft as it sacrifices. It can then separate from the brass fitting if it is not changed out soon enough. Once the zinc separates from it's brass holder, it no longer has an firm electrical connection to the heat exchanger metal. So it no longer sacrifices and doesn't waste away very well any more. Just sits there to eventually block the tubes. So perhaps when the PO did the zinc annual replacement, either the previous year's pencil zinc had already broken off from the brass holder or would do so as the PO was removing it. The PO then would just insert a new pencil zinc without removing the left inside residue.

I've read somewhere that heat exchanger zincs should be almost a monthly inspect/change item. I doubt that very many of us, me included, do it that frequently. I know that after only two/three months in my heat exchanger, the zinc is just a shadow of its former self.

Any acid wash I don't think is to clear out pencil debris, but to dissolve general scale build up. I would do a lot more research before using anything stronger than vinegar. If done wrong, acid can attack weak points in the heat exchanger and probably will decrease its total useful life. I've been told that radiator shops will use another chemical right after the acid to pacify the reaction quickly.

I had a bad "acid" experience right after I bought my boat. Probably the exchanger on my boat was already leaking between the coolant and seawater circuits. But I certainly made it worse when I gave it a weak muriatic acid bath to make it clean for the proud new owner. The exchanger's weak area was the "baffle" plate at each end into which the tubes are brazed. The tubes themselves still were in great shape. Fortunately a local radiator shop with marine heat exchanger experience was able to flood the weak areas with solder to seal the breaches. The exchanger has been working fine now for quite a few years.

Last edited:
May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Muratic Acid

I have run muratic acid through them, with good success. First time I ever heard of this was a few years ago when was having overheating problems, and this was recommended by a marina in Fl. Works good, but just run it through and flush, don't let it sit more than a few minutes.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Didn't know that about yanmar engines. Good to learn something new.

As to changing the zinc, yeah, I don't think yearly is enough. Maine Sail recommends 5 yo 7 weeks. I put that up about the PO because he said it like he was doing something better then what average maintenance would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.