Advice on replacing injector pump needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Have a Chris Craft SY 35, 1964, and am about to tackle injector pump replace...anyone had expereince w this ? Perkins 4-108,UK made, prolly late 70's engine. I do have workshop manual download, just looking for extra hints,tips,etc...Thanks for any help.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
It's a very simple job, really. I'm sure you know all of the bleeding procedures, this has been discussed many times. But on the Perkins, making sure the timing is correct is paramount. Lining up the gear will be included clearly in the manual, but one trick I always do is, mark the pump mounting on the block. When it is bolted on loosely, you can see where it will pivot slightly back and forth, and that is the minute timing feature of the fuel. Just like a distributor on a gas burner, it makes a difference in the fuel timing. When you reset the pump back to its original camber, it will be very, very close to being where it should be, as the old one was in that position as well.
Scribe a hard line on the pump across the block where it rests. If you're just rebuilding the old pump, the scribe line will still be there, and it's a whiz-bang.
And a side note, I hope you're just rebuilding the old one. Unless the pump is just worn to a FRAZZLE, most can be rebuilt. And a lot cheaper. These things will run several thousand hours without just wearing one out.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Thats what he meant, scribe a mark before removal.

Also, with injection pumps, cleanliness is next to Godliness. Its not just a good idea, its of paramount importance. Clean the engine in that area thoroughly before removal, loosening lines, etc..

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Thanks guys...am on the boat now..will be preparing today to remove pump.Appreciate the advice! BTW...chilly here in Brunswick...:)

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
And another FYI, rotate the engine to TDC on #1, and put the engine on the correct marks before removing the pump.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Got the injector pump removed.Also, removed injectors and all fuel lines. Talking with Perkins to locate new set of fuel lines...the originals found to be in pretty sad shape, injectors need serviced pretty badly. As soon as these repairs completed engine slated for intensive clean up/repaint. Also, removed heat exchanger and took to radiator shop for good boiling ....Next is getting charging components (solar panels and wind generator) all online and re-doing battery set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.