Advice on main sheet fiddle etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
I have an S25 and the upper fiddle and lower fiddle/cam etc are just about worn out. Actually, they are. The only thing stamped on the blocks are the words "Sail Speed". Looking on the net, I find nothing on this name of any value. Was thinking of rebuilding them rather than purchasing new. I drilled out the brads and was able to get into the "guts". Replacing the bearings and the brads with nuts n bolts would be easy enough. There are no "races" but just contours in the shieve and wall. The ball bearings appear to be the 3/16" diameter. So I have two questions.
1) Should I go back with 3/16 or try to step up to the 1/4 diameter to account for wear?
2) Would I be better off just chunking them, biting the $200+ bullet (for both blocks), and getting new ones?
Any advice from you sage sailors would be very much appreciated!!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Not having seen your hardware I would be hard pressed to make the decision to rebuild or buy new. Based on what you are telling us, if you have enough slop in the bearing races that you can upsize the bearings from 3/16" to 1/4" I would think that they have outlived their intended life and it's time to replace them. If you ultimately decide to replace them, you have two options. New or used. Try ebay for either new or used or look at the classified section of this site. It just so happens that I have a 4:1 purchase setup with snap shackles at each fiddle that will be listed on this site later today. Sorry couldn't resist. :)

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I posted detailed information and photos of the fiddle blocks in the classified section of this site.

Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
Thanks Ted... rats... I missed that these had snap shackles and won't work for me. (duh) I do appreciate the advice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.