Advice on loading a boat on the trailer

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Rereading your post, makes me look at it a bit differently. Are you complaining about the CG, or is it a problem of how the boat is attached to the trailer.

Yes Ken I was looking for the CG position of the boat. On the first attempt I had the boat way too far back. I am trying for a best guess of how far forward to move the boat on the trailer to minimize the number of back and forth times in and out of the water.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Cowpokee;
As a dealer, I owned small and large trailers to include a hydraulic trailer launching and retrieving up to 34 foot sailboats at various ramps and so forth. I knew what to do and this even included launching over bulkheads and even from bridges( I was the only dealer doing this but never suggest that to anyone else. ) Feel free if you want to contact me via forum mail if you want to. The Kerr Lake I was referring to is the one located in VA/NC.
Dave condon

Jan 8, 2015
I finally got the boat on the trailer!!!
upload_2017-6-26_9-24-48.jpeg

Randy that idea of using the winches with lines tied off to the tongue extension worked really well. We were able to pull the boat up onto the trailer. Saved backing the truck any further into the water.
upload_2017-6-26_9-26-59.jpeg

We did have to get another truck to pull me past this point because of the algae growth on the ramp.
I was really surprised by this...
upload_2017-6-26_9-28-40.jpeg

As you could see in the previous pic, the boat was level when we put it on the trailer.
upload_2017-6-26_9-37-2.jpeg

Ready to remove the mast and head home.

Jan 8, 2015
Now that I have the jacks adjusted to the boat, the next time I load it from the water can I leave them adjusted as they currently are? I imagine the boat will come to rest on only the forward jacks until I start to pull out. Then will it settle down on the keel and remaining stands?

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Now that I have the jacks adjusted to the boat, the next time I load it from the water can I leave them adjusted as they currently are? I imagine the boat will come to rest on only the forward jacks until I start to pull out. Then will it settle down on the keel and remaining stands?
Yes, in theory it will work, as long as the trailer is on an incline before the boat. You may have to back it off once or twice to get it seated properly.

By the way, congratulations. This is a job well done!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
congrats on getting it out. Noted shallow ramp which is not the most ideal situation. Let us know about your trip. Not sure if you have my number but if you want to call, feel free to do so. I have some suggestions.