Advice on installing a solar panel

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
30A is probably an overkill, but you have lots of headroom, so it should be good. I lost my first controller do to water seepage. It wasn't a lot of water, but enough. Keep you controller high and put in drip loops. On my 50w panel I use a 10A controller. It works fine and is also a PWM. I am sure since you are only using this to keep you batteries topped off and the bilge pump powered, you will be fine.

Good luck and take some pictures when you are done.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
You can still go cheap...

Check the scrap piles at boat yards.. One of the boat yards on Tortola had a massive pile of bent & scrap SS that usable pieces could have been cut from...;)
I'll git rite over to that there tortolli. Whered ya say it was? :)

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
I have seen some pretty clean installations, where they hinge mounted the panel on the split back stay and used a single adjustable cable to control the elevation.
Hi Frank

Sounds cool. I am trying to imagine how this was accomplished. Do you by any chance have any pictures of this setup.

Thanks, Mike

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I'll git rite over to that there tortolli. Whered ya say it was? :)
I thought you were making it there this year...?:D:D:D Also saw one abandoned Bruce and 4 abandoned CQR's lying about the yard.....;)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I thought you were making it there this year...?:D:D:D Also saw one abandoned Bruce and 4 abandoned CQR's lying about the yard.....;)
I'll see if I can find it. It was a very clean mod.