Advice on how to Sell a boat today.

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 380 Boothbay Harbor Maine
I have bought and sold 9 sailboats and am currently 69 and boatless...the last one I sold was a 1994 pretty much mint 35.5 legend...only lost 15k......I think the biggest issue you want to get by is do you want the hassles of dealing with potential buyers(which a lot aren't reliable) and low ballers....this can wear on you and expect a 80k dollar sale to knock out about 95% of buyrers so you are dealing with a small market...If you can afford it, hire a broker to deal with it....keep your life incheck, remember all the good times you had and allow someone else to deal with the bs .....from experience....I don't think the resale market is healthy...another reason...
Great advise, thanks. We are not looking for or expecting a windfall. We will definitely use a broker and price it to sell. We live too far away to go meet every tire kicker that comes along. We have had a wonderful 18 seasons with her and are ready to say goodbye.

Aug 20, 2019
What year? Condition? Are sails original? To me price and condition sell a boat. That seems like a nice size boat, and in Yatchworld.com there are 12 for sale in the US. Price seems like $80k and up. Probably will take some time to find the right buyer unless you really fire sale it.
Ours is 2001 with original sails in good condition. Added a windless, replaced all the life lines two seasons ago, and solar panels on 2015. We are realisits and hope to price it to sell.

Aug 20, 2019
"Make sure it's in sound mechanical and perfect cosmetic condition, then take good photos. I'd list it with a broker but also put it on every web site you can. It could take some time to find the buyer but it's definitely saleable. Good luck!

Agree with Phil's and FDL's comments above. Sounds like your Hunter 380 performed very well and will be a good boat for someone looking for that layout and performance.

I turned my 2004 Hunter 386 over to the broker earlier this year in as new a condition I could (newer running rigging, cushions and canvas, waxed fiberglass, polished stainless steel and serviced head and engine) and with a rigging survey and after a mechanical survey that demonstrated it was in good condition and everything worked. This month the broker sold it.
Do you feel you got a return on your money with all the updated canvas or that it helped sell the boat faster? We are included to sell lower and let folks pick out their own canvas color and design - such as sail cover style and differ to Bimini transition.

Aug 20, 2019
@Rob&Donna,

I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry about that. Your boat sounds nice, so I'm sure you won't have a problem. My advice is to clean the boat...and then clean some more. Fix anything you can that won't be too much trouble and expense. Disclose ahead of time anything that might be a problem if found on a survey. Then price it below other similar boats in your area. Also, something that worked well when I sold my house...the realtor had a professional photographer shoot the house. He made my 1650ft2 house look like a mansion, and my circa 1970s kitchen look like a retro chick gourmet kitchen. The online photos sold the house.
Thanks. The boat will be spotless for sure. We have actually already kept it looking great!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I went into my C310 knowing what was on my need a discount list. My issues were the original sails, bimini in poor shape, bottom paint last done in 2014, and Running rigging needing replacement (traveler lines, and boom vang). My previous owner did take good care of the boat and made some significant upgrades I valued, those were the new battery bank (4 GC and a separate starting battery), new charger, new Smart Plug, and new coolant hoses. Given where we each were we made certain adjustments to our expectations and price and I believe both came away happy.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Do you feel you got a return on your money with all the updated canvas or that it helped sell the boat faster? We are included to sell lower and let folks pick out their own canvas color and design - such as sail cover style and differ to Bimini transition.

Updating the canvas is not necessary, just make sure it is suitable condition, i.e., not ripped and dodger panels can be zipped. In my case I replaced all the hatch cover, bennacle, winch and ignition panel canvas and some running rigging as I was planning to keep the boat. After I did that I purchased my new boat and put the 386 up for sale though the Hunter dealer.

Aug 20, 2019
Update on our Hunter 380: We want to thank everyone who offered us advise on selling a boat in today's market. It was all good and we have followed most of it. The boat is cleaner than when we took delivery in 2001, and we signed with a broker (at East Coast Yacht Sales) that we feel very good about and who is pricing it based on market analysis and not dreams. There are a ton of nice pictures posted with it on line. We have stored it indoors (it is in TMaine) so that it can be shown easily from now until the summer without having to duck under shrink wrap and wonder what it really looks like. The advice to remember all the good times, has us in mourning, but if the market proves slower than slow and it does not sell this year, we may just have another wonderful season with her yet. Thanks again!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Good luck and nice to see owners take pride in their boats up to even selling them. I live in Bath and loved it there for the time we had, sailing and Maine is why I have a boat now and someday we will sail north to visit Maine again!

Aug 20, 2019
Good luck and nice to see owners take pride in their boats up to even selling them. I live in Bath and loved it there for the time we had, sailing and Maine is why I have a boat now and someday we will sail north to visit Maine again!
I can see the attraction of warmer climates to sail in, but having sailed the coast from Maine to the Keys, there is no place on the East Coast like Maine! Hope you do sail north again for a visit!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
We moved to Maine from Miami in November, we wanted something new and an adventure. It was all that and we loved our time, just when kids came it seemed we needed to be back south close to family and such. That move has allowed me a lot more benefits and I have a daughter who loves to sail and asked if I would give her our boat when we upgrade:cool: