Advice on how to Sell a boat today.

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 380 Boothbay Harbor Maine
We have reached the age of having a bigger boat than we need/can manage. We have enjoyed our 35 years of sailing and our 18 years with our present Hunter 380 - lots of summer fun and a year and a half going from Maine to Florida and back again. As you all know, parting is not easy. So what is the best way to sell or donate a boat in this economic (sailing down turn) climate? We have been told that no one is buying boats like ours these days. Guidance from those of you who have been here is needed. Thank you.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
What year? Condition? Are sails original? To me price and condition sell a boat. That seems like a nice size boat, and in Yatchworld.com there are 12 for sale in the US. Price seems like $80k and up. Probably will take some time to find the right buyer unless you really fire sale it.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
While the market has been soft for sellers, it's been noticeably stronger this year. We have definitely seen more boats sell, and larger ones, too. Make sure it's in sound mechanical and perfect cosmetic condition, then take good photos. I'd list it with a broker but also put it on every web site you can. It could take some time to find the buyer but it's definitely saleable. Good luck!

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I would definitely agree with Phil's advice on cleaning, maintenance and photos and list it on this site. I look at boats for sale on this site, sailboatlistings and yatchworld. I would not listen to the people who say no one is buying boats-be flexible and DO NOT let the naysayers get to you!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Here are links to a number of sites to post ads. To me the key to the sale is boat condition, cost and how well you market it. I sold my J Boat to a guy in Wisconsin using an ad on Sailing Texas.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
"Make sure it's in sound mechanical and perfect cosmetic condition, then take good photos. I'd list it with a broker but also put it on every web site you can. It could take some time to find the buyer but it's definitely saleable. Good luck!

Agree with Phil's and FDL's comments above. Sounds like your Hunter 380 performed very well and will be a good boat for someone looking for that layout and performance.

I turned my 2004 Hunter 386 over to the broker earlier this year in as new a condition I could (newer running rigging, cushions and canvas, waxed fiberglass, polished stainless steel and serviced head and engine) and with a rigging survey and after a mechanical survey that demonstrated it was in good condition and everything worked. This month the broker sold it.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
I think there are much better ways to make money around boats. If you want to sell boats, become a broker. If you want to work around boats, become a boat mechanic, rigger, or my favorite, a surveyor.

I bought my boat with the intention of completing a few small projects and sailing it, but everything I started lead to another project. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying every minute. And next summer I'll have it set up the way I want with new wiring, lights, plumbing, paint, electronics, and a fully overhauled engine.

When I sell, I won't get my money out, but that's not the point for me. My advice is to buy a boat you want to own, work on it while you enjoy it, then sell it when you have the opportunity and start over.

EDIT: This post was accidentally placed in the wrong thread. When I went to delete it, I noticed that it had received a like, so I decided to leave it be and write a proper one a few posts below.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
Thank you all for the encouraging advice - especially about the market and naysayers. We will be sure and price her according to her condition and equipment etc., try multiple listings, and a find a broker as well.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
@Rob&Donna,

I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry about that. Your boat sounds nice, so I'm sure you won't have a problem. My advice is to clean the boat...and then clean some more. Fix anything you can that won't be too much trouble and expense. Disclose ahead of time anything that might be a problem if found on a survey. Then price it below other similar boats in your area. Also, something that worked well when I sold my house...the realtor had a professional photographer shoot the house. He made my 1650ft2 house look like a mansion, and my circa 1970s kitchen look like a retro chick gourmet kitchen. The online photos sold the house.

Aug 20, 2019
Thank you. We are aware of this and have read up on the pros and cons. It is, as you indicate, an option. The boat is a great one so we are hoping to find it a good home.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
'Course agree with the clean and mechanically sound (Perfect is illusive). But about brokers: Their effort in selling the boat is proportional to the amount of dollars they stand to receive from the sale. So try to pin down your broker on exactly how much advertising he/she is willing to do. Marketing costs them money especially advertising out of venue - which is what you need to do. So sign a shorter term contract. If they don't advertise adequately you can try someone else. Faced with a time limit a broker may bring a low ball offer to you hoping for a quick sale. If you refuse the broker may put your boat on the back burner. That would be time for someone new. Also, I think it's better to get more eyes on the boat so I would consider moving it to Eastern Ct. or Rhode Island where larger #'s of sailors's will see it.

Aug 20, 2019
'Course agree with the clean and mechanically sound (Perfect is illusive). But about brokers: Their effort in selling the boat is proportional to the amount of dollars they stand to receive from the sale. So try to pin down your broker on exactly how much advertising he/she is willing to do. Marketing costs them money especially advertising out of venue - which is what you need to do. So sign a shorter term contract. If they don't advertise adequately you can try someone else. Faced with a time limit a broker may bring a low ball offer to you hoping for a quick sale. If you refuse the broker may put your boat on the back burner. That would be time for someone new. Also, I think it's better to get more eyes on the boat so I would consider moving it to Eastern Ct. or Rhode Island where larger #'s of sailors's will see it.
Hmmm. You bring up bring good points to consider. Thanks!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
For what it is worth, I sold three boats by owner. All were stripped of personal effects, photos, etc and were in top condition. I advertised extensively (and expensively) but I also offered a couple of brokers a half-commission (what they might split with a selling broker) if they brought in a sale. I wasn't expecting much from them, but was surprised to find them showing the boat quite often. However, in all cases, the boat sold quickly by myself. To keep relations good, I notified each broker and thanked them for their effort.

I am not suggesting this path for you; I don't know anyone else that did this. I'm not sure I will do the same when the time come to sell again. It simply worked for me at the time, a time when the market was much more active than now.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
Pictures. Pictures. And more pictures.

My wife and I are looking for a few more feet vs holding off for a couple years and going with 7-10 more feet.

Either way we are window shopping right now.

An ad without pictures will not even get a look.

I don’t need 10 shots of the galley. But I do want to see photos of all berths, the salon and cockpit.
Essentially I want to see living area and general condition.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Pictures. Pictures. And more pictures.

My wife and I are looking for a few more feet vs holding off for a couple years and going with 7-10 more feet
Either way we are window shopping right now.

An ad without pictures will not even get a look.

I don’t need 10 shots of the galley. But I do want to see photos of all berths, the salon and cockpit.
Essentially I want to see living area and general condition.
Yes, lots of pictures. Include a few different shots of the cockpit, the salon, berths, galley, head and the sails raised. If your not sure what to include look at brokered boats listed on YachtWorld as a guide for what pics to take and use.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
FYI the boat market isn’t that soft. I was in Mystic Shipyard a few weeks ago and they were prepping a new Catalina 40 something. They said Catalina has sold 60 boats (of that model) so far this year. That’s impressive. If the new boat market is strong, so is the used market.

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I have bought and sold 9 sailboats and am currently 69 and boatless...the last one I sold was a 1994 pretty much mint 35.5 legend...only lost 15k......I think the biggest issue you want to get by is do you want the hassles of dealing with potential buyers(which a lot aren't reliable) and low ballers....this can wear on you and expect a 80k dollar sale to knock out about 95% of buyrers so you are dealing with a small market...If you can afford it, hire a broker to deal with it....keep your life incheck, remember all the good times you had and allow someone else to deal with the bs .....from experience....I don't think the resale market is healthy...another reason...