Advice on Headsails - jib/genoa

Jun 18, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Baltimore
I'm the new owner of a 1986 Hunter 28.5, shoal draft, 4' keel. I will be replacing the jib, which I believe is a furling 115% jib; and was considering upgrading to a furling 135% to 150% genoa. Any thoughts from those who have made that upgrade, especially, those who might have the 28.5 shoal draft?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Probably not a good idea to go bigger. Here's why:

Jib Size Selection 101
Jib Size Selection
That's a very interesting discussion. Thanks for posting the link. It essentially led to an answer that a smaller jib was better. But I think it needs to be remembered from the initial question in that thread that it was about sailing close hauled in 3-5 knots of wind. That's certainly not what I normally do so while it was interesting it would not bring me to decide on the smaller sail (the 115). Like everything there are compromises to be made and one has to decide what they want based on their expected typical usage.

EDIT: I should say I only read the first 3 page post (started by Don Guilette) in Stu's link. I'm sure more good info follows that one.

That said, I probably would not go with the 150. For me, a 135 would be a good compromise.
NB: I do not race my boat.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Hi Rob, I had a 150 on my 28.5 on Lake Ontario and found it overpowered the boat more often than not. Being a masthead rig I would agree that 130/135 would work great. I had the deep draft boat and had to roll it in frequently other than in light air.

Jun 18, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Baltimore
That's a very interesting discussion. Thanks for posting the link. It essentially led to an answer that a smaller jib was better. But I think it needs to be remembered from the initial question in that thread that it was about sailing close hauled in 3-5 knots of wind. That's certainly not what I normally do so while it was interesting it would not bring me to decide on the smaller sail (the 115). Like everything there are compromises to be made and one has to decide what they want based on their expected typical usage.

That said, I probably would not go with the 150. For me, a 135 would be a good compromise.
NB: I do not race my boat.
Thanks Richard, helpful input.

Jun 18, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Baltimore
Hi Rob, I had a 150 on my 28.5 on Lake Ontario and found it overpowered the boat more often than not. Being a masthead rig I would agree that 130/135 would work great. I had the deep draft boat and had to roll it in frequently other than in light air.
Thanks Knotallthere very helpful!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rob and Richard.
There are several considerations to be reviewed in your quest.
Priorities I use.
  1. Where am I sailing and what are the general wind conditions during the times I plan to sail.
  2. Am I racing or am I cruising.
  3. What type of rig do I have? Mast Head, Fractional, High/Low Aspect.
  4. Am I lazy about my rigging or do I want to optimize the rigging for my boat to squeeze out all speed.
  5. In what condition are my sails?
I encourage you to explore the work of Gentry in your search of improving your sail performance on your boat.

http://www.gentrysailing.com/pdf-magazines/8-Checking-Trim-on-the-Wind.pdf

Gentry Sailing | Theory and Practice

I would lean towards the 115 or the 135 at the most on your boat Rob. As I understand your boat is a mast head rig and gets it's primary power from the jib. Yet over powering your jib can contribute to drag on your main. It is a balancing act. I would add a light weight asymmetrical to your sail cabinet in order to optimize your off wind sailing in the Summer Chesapeake breezes.

Jun 18, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Baltimore
Rob and Richard.
There are several considerations to be reviewed in your quest.
Priorities I use.
  1. Where am I sailing and what are the general wind conditions during the times I plan to sail.
  2. Am I racing or am I cruising.
  3. What type of rig do I have? Mast Head, Fractional, High/Low Aspect.
  4. Am I lazy about my rigging or do I want to optimize the rigging for my boat to squeeze out all speed.
  5. In what condition are my sails?
I encourage you to explore the work of Gentry in your search of improving your sail performance on your boat.

http://www.gentrysailing.com/pdf-magazines/8-Checking-Trim-on-the-Wind.pdf

Gentry Sailing | Theory and Practice

I would lean towards the 115 or the 135 at the most on your boat Rob. As I understand your boat is a mast head rig and gets it's primary power from the jib. Yet over powering your jib can contribute to drag on your main. It is a balancing act. I would add a light weight asymmetrical to your sail cabinet in order to optimize your off wind sailing in the Summer Chesapeake breezes.
Jssailem, thanks for the great list of considerations and for the link to grow my understanding. Very helpful in my decision making process. rob