Advice on deck paint

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I'm planning to paint my deck this Spring. Would like to hear from sailors who have done this. To me the only consideration is the quality (and durability) of the finished product. It must be roll and tip application, my marina does not allow spray.

Cost of the paint is not a consideration and this is not a thread about non-skid surfaces.

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
After having painted the topside of my cabin cruiser with one part polyurethane, and the topside of my sailboat with two part polyurethane.....by far the two part end result is superior.
Resulting in a smoother more professional finish, MUCH tougher when it comes to standing up to the elements & abuse etc.
That being said, others would argue that when there is damage done to the painted surface that exceeds 'normal' wear and tear....it is more difficult to make a repair & repaint and have it blend in, as opposed to the one part.
IMO...if your boat is subjected to the sun year round or three seasons...two part is the only way to go.

Oct 11, 2007
Island Packet IP31 Patuxent River, MD
KiwiGrip (KG) is not a bad option for the areas that require some form of anti-slip or traction, so consider as a secondary coat or application where your deck anti skid areas are worn or the deck paint application covers these. I used it on our C22 9 years ago, boat has a new owner, but it is still holding in very good shape. I used light gray, and color is also holding very well, the contrasting colors will bring out the deck in a pretty nice way. Read on the application of KG, as it is a user dialed in traction level via a provided textured roller, light or heavy pressure vary the degree of grip/texture. I used something in between and no sharp or rough surface to deal with, no additives or spreading of solids.... http://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/

Jun 17, 2012
Bristol 35.5 Escanaba
Two-part is much more durable than the single part deck paint. Our thought was if we were going to do all the prep work, masking, removing some fittings etc., the extra cost of the more durable paint was worth it. Use a little flattener in whichever type of paint you choose. It will knock the gloss, which reduces the visibility of dust, tiny bugs etc. which inevitably get into the freshly rolled paint. And divide the deck into smaller areas, which makes it easier to paint and manage the process. Paint the smooth areas first. Mask and paint the non-slip areas second...

Dec 31, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 430 Penang, Malaysia
How to get the old paint off without destroying the original factory anti-skid pattern?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Have to agree about the 2-part paint. We tested a one-part poly and found it lasted about a week before we had wear problems. I applied 2-part and it held up well for about 10 years. Since the prep is essentially the same for both, the one part makes no sense. It is not THAT much cheaper.