Advice from the pros needed...

Pilot2

Jan 26, 2018
Hallberg Rassy 35 Miami
Iam considering a Hallberg-Rassy 35 which I have not seen or had surveyed yet. It would appear to be well equipped, BUT, the owner reports it needs repair on bowsprit, pulpit, one spreader, one chain-plate. Do these items turn-on the "get a second mortgage" alert light or... ?

What are the most common high expense items that surface for this model that a surveyor should inspect carefully?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
How did the damage occur? That is the question I would ask. Those items don't normally wear out. It seems the boat was in a collision or it was damaged on the hard. Hurricane damage? Dropped? Red flag is flying (From that broken spreader).

Pilot2

Jan 26, 2018
Hallberg Rassy 35 Miami
Shemandr, excellent questions, thank you. I shamefully copied them verbatim and sent them to the seller.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Good questions. And did whatever cause this also cause some hidden hull damage?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
the first 3 items might be fairly easy fixes. BUT, the chainplate might be very hard to access. Many many boats have their chainplates buried behind fiberglass liners and cabinetry. That creates a lot of labor which is $$$$$$.

Braden

Feb 11, 2017
The Rasmus chainplates are very easy to access and replace. Also, their design can be easily replicated by a local metal shop. After you find out about the spreader, like many hulls, the rig cannot be tightened tivht as a bass string and over the course of the season the rig loosens and the hull flexes. This means that the spreaders can flop a bit on the lee side which can cause gradual "working" of the bolt holes at the base of the spreader. But because the spreaders are perfectly tubular, not flattened or tapered, they can be made by any shop out of high quality aluminum tubing.