Advice for Priming Fuel Pump - Westerbeke 30B

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
This isn't a question - just informational. This forum has been so helpful for me - wanted to share my research. Priming fuel pump went bad on my Westerbeke 30B - OEM Westerbeke part (Part #039275) took forever to ship and was expensive. So after a TON of research - Facet fuel pump (Manufacturer Part #40185, NAPA Part #BK 6102404) was a perfect replacement. And the best part - you can pick it up same-day at your local NAPA auto parts.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice. Informative.
How did you decide that the Facet 40185 was the correct pump to use?

I’ve been thinking about an electric pump to facilitate the priming of my Diesel engine after a filter change.
Concerns include:
  • Pump able to run continuously
  • Aeration of fuel by pump
  • Flow through ability of pump with or without bypass plumbing
  • Effects of over pressure on filter or at engine’s high pressure pump
  • Location of pump in fuel system - before or after Primary filter
  • What gph and psi specifications to get
A few of my thoughts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Concerns include:
  • Pump able to run continuously
  • Aeration of fuel by pump
  • Flow through ability of pump with or without bypass plumbing
  • Effects of over pressure on filter or at engine’s high pressure pump
  • Location of pump in fuel system - before or after Primary filter
  • What gph and psi specifications to get
Concerns include:

• Pump able to run continuously - yes, they can, mine does and has for 24 years
  • Aeration of fuel by pump - not an issue
  • Flow through ability of pump with or without bypass plumbing - not an issue
  • Effects of over pressure on filter or at engine’s high pressure pump - doesn't happen
  • Location of pump in fuel system - before or after Primary filter - after, of course
  • What gph and psi specifications to get - most are within a small range, check Facets on Amazon
John, you're asking reasonable questions that have been resolved not only in marine engines but diesel trucks for decades.

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
A bunch of research about the specs / PSI on the different pumps. And I found a reference where a marine dealer recommends the 40185 as a replacement for the 30B pump. And . . . if you look at the old Westerbeke pump (that will be painted with red), scratch off the paint really carefully . . . you can see an imprint of 40185 : )

That's exactly why I had to replace it. I didn't actually know it was bad until I changed the fuel filters on a new-to-me boat, then tried to start. Changing the filters caused loss of vacuum in the fuel line, and without the primer pump the engine got no fuel.

Last edited: