Adjust throttle 1991 hunter 30t

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Hello all,

Tried researching but getting some conflicting information online. You have to really push hard on my throttle to make it go beyond 2k rpm (I'm talking hard, like full body press hard). Is there a way to adjust this or do I need to replace the cable? Thank you!

Ron

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You should consider finding the manufacturer of your binnacle/steering gear, go to their website and find the manual for your equipment. They will explain how to deal with the issue. If it is an Edson wheel, www.edsonmarine.com

For some bizarre reason, I have recently been "exposed" to many skippers who have asked questions about specific equipment and claimed to be "...getting some conflicting information online..." without admitting to or bothering to go directly to THE source for answers to their questions: i.e., the actual people who MADE the equipment. I just don't understand the logic...

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Thank you Stu. I haven't been able to find an owners manual online for the 1991 Hunter 30T that includes that info. I will keep digging.

Feb 26, 2004
@Rcd1649

There are usu sally only two different brands, Edson or Merriman.

It would seem to me that your question is more like: For owners of Hunter 30t, please tell me what steering gear was installed on these boats.

Otherwise, look at the Merriman and Edson websites and find out which one LOOKS LIKE yours. It's not really that hard...

Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
Hey Stu. So one thing I"ve noticed is that for projects, of any kind, it's great to hear from people who have actually done the work to give you heads up on what challenges they've run into or things to be aware of. Original owners manuals are great, but they could also be 30 years out of date at this point, in comparison to someone who maybe did the project last week. If you don't find any value in that type of conversation, by all means, don't reply.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There is a Merriman owners manual on this site.
“Owner Resources “ then “general downloads “ . Scroll down .
sounds however like a cable friction problem

• Helpful
May 20, 2020
Hunter 30 Nelson BC
My '91 30T has an Edson. I'd say stop using it 'till you get this resolved. That much force is a recipe for busting something...

Edson are marvelous with their customer service. They will recommend you get their service kit for the steering mechanism which is a must do if it's been a while, esp. on the salt. If the throttle is acting up, is steering next?

Popping the four screws on top of the binnacle might show you something obvious. Perhaps one of those things a shot of penetrating oil might improve. Bike brake cables slowly seize over time. Perhaps that's what up with your throttle cable. On a bike, you can pull the inner cable, run some penetrating oil down it, slide the cable back in, then back forth a bit, and you are in business. Good for a temporary fix but over time the oil might attract dirt, so worth replacing.

The other thing to do is follow the throttle cable down to where it attaches to the engine. Could be something mechanical is amiss on your throttle. It's all pretty intuitive so you should see or feel (disconnect the cable, then try moving the throttle on the engine by hand) if something's amiss.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thank you Stu. I haven't been able to find an owners manual online for the 1991 Hunter 30T that includes that info. I will keep digging.
I think I may have it in the documents I got with my 91 30t. I know there's something included about the Edison pedestal. I don't know how detailed. I will check.

Feb 26, 2004
Hey Stu. So one thing I"ve noticed is that for projects, of any kind, it's great to hear from people who have actually done the work to give you heads up on what challenges they've run into or things to be aware of. Original owners manuals are great, but they could also be 30 years out of date at this point, in comparison to someone who maybe did the project last week. If you don't find any value in that type of conversation, by all means, don't reply.
This is NOT a "project." This is a fix it of a piece of equipment, most likely, unless it's something further down the line, which is also covered in IIRC, Edson's manuals. NOT EdIson (I know you didn't say that, someone else did).

I see you recently joined this fine forum. FWIW, I've been helping skippers here since I joined 15 years ago. Yes, OEM manuals "could also be 30 years" applicable to 30 year old boats. And sure folks can help you out by saying, "Yeah, I did that last week." But like kloudie's reference, I was trying to help you find a source. And most times, folks who did it last week went and got the manual so they would know what to do. RTFM is just as applicable to my 1986 boat and the manuals for its systems and equipment as it was the day it was printed. I could tell you exactly what bolt head to turn in your binnacle but you didn't say what binnacle. I tried to explain to you how to find out. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021
Hunter 30t Seattle
I think I may have it in the documents I got with my 91 30t. I know there's something included about the Edison pedestal. I don't know how detailed. I will check.
thank you both, really appreciate the insight!