Adding Windlass to 2010 309

Jul 10, 2014
Catalina 309 Burnham
I have spent the last few hours researching what it would take to add a windlass to my boat. Its a 2010 Catalina 309 that currently has no windlass. Anybody have any suggestions as to what brand/model to order or begin planning around? I read other posts that say even once installed they aren't very effective. Any input would be appreciated!

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
We have muir windlass side mounted inside the anchor locker.
It's good for pulling up the rope , chain and anchor, but when laying the anchor the chain peels off the side too easily.
We normally let out the chain by hand and only retrieve with the windlass .
We carry 50m of chain so I wouldn't be with out it ...

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
Would like to see pictures of the installation too see where the location of the windless and anchor roller is.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
A number of years ago (before the 309 group moved to SBO) there was a 309 forum on Yahoo. This forum fizzled because of the excessive spamming on Yahoo, but may still exist. At any rate, there was a posting by a 309 owner in Australia, I think his name was Michael White, who designed and built a windlass system for his boat. His installation was well thought out, and his posting was very complete, even including CAD engineering drawings for the parts he needed to fabricate. I printed a copy of it, but unfortunately threw it out after I sold my 309 a few months ago. I'd suggest doing a search through Yahoo to see if you can find it. It would have been in the very early postings on the forum, maybe in 2007 or 2008. Good luck!

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
ForumRunner_20140906_105758.jpg

ForumRunner_20140906_105812.jpg

Muir windlass mounted on its side .
It works well for pulling up the anchor but not very good for dropping it .

Oct 29, 2013
Catalina 309 Port Moresby
We also have a windlass side mounted (as per Pompardi) in the anchor locker. Although it is a different make and model and much larger. However, it too is not good for dropping anchor and the chain slips off the side, unless I guide it up from underneath. But fortunately it works a treat bringing it back up. I will try to get some images.