Adding some bling to the cockpit. Have a question.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Uumm, skipper... was the cockpit humming, or was that YOU ?

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Go over and take a look at mine. I have the Bose speakers that have the back on them that serves as a sound chamber. Not sure they are still available but IMO they are great. Here are the two in the cabin, same units in the cockpit.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Go over and take a look at mine. I have the Bose speakers that have the back on them that serves as a sound chamber. Not sure they are still available but IMO they are great. Here are the two in the cabin, same units in the cockpit.
I wondered about enclosed backs. My speakers intrude into the aft lockers so they have decent sound chambers. I do wonder about water entry if the speakers were ever to give way. I have an open transom and we sail on a big pond, so I'm over thinking this. :facepalm:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
New speakers are in and they sound great. I did not realize until I removed the old ones, how deteriorated the material supporting the cones was. We're talking almost nonexistent.
I still have to install a switch for the lighting but I touched them to 12v and they light up. I need to find a disco ball next !
20200719_134825_resized.jpg

wasp hotel -
20200718_134220_resized.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Latest update to my new cockpit speakers upgrade. I've been looking for ways to protect them from the elements. I found these 8" DS18 silicone covers at Hodges Marine. Hodges didn't have a spec on the diameter and the manufacturer would never respond. So for $20 shipped, I took a chance and they fit perfectly. They are so flexible, I still don't know what diameter they are actually, but they fit my 233mm diameter speakers.
My installation is complete. The remote control changes the colors. I just need to make a video and play some KC and the Sunshine band once I hang that mirror ball :dancing:

20210131_122202_resized.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
History...

trebuchet stormthecitadel logo undated
Storm the Citadel
February 8, 2020
Hands-on engineering competition opened to K-12 students including Trebuchet, Water Bottle Rockets, Bridge and Robotics competitions.

There are so many references. I was just wondering, seeing as you are close to the action...:biggrin:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You say your Alpine has enough power..what do the specs say about acceptable speaker impedance?
4 ohm is standard for car and marine audio speakers. To be honest I've seen quite a few headunits driving 4 ohm loads for years without issues. I wouldn't recommend it but I've seen it done
PS: it's not about competing with boats around me, it's about quality of sound which is why my first post was about impedance matching and sensitivity. It don't want to have to make it louder to get good sound.
I'm out of my area of knowledge here
The better the sound quality, the less it needs to be turned up to hear the details!
I did not realize until I removed the old ones, how deteriorated the material supporting the cones was.
What were the old surrounds made of? The quality and durability of newer surrounds are leaps and bounds better than the old foam ones

For anyone else that's looking for new speakers I can highly recommend these and I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to speakers. They have a very pleasant sound. You can get them with and without LEDs! Amazon.com: 2- Pair (4-Speakers) Multi Color LED Lights Kicker 6.5" 195W Marine Audio Coaxial Stereo White Grills: Car Electronics

• Helpful