Adding Solar to Hunter 466

Mar 20, 2024
Hunter 466 Daytona Beach
Starting to plan to add solar on my 2004 Hunter 466. I’ve added the tower in the box and have a full Bimini so there is plenty of space. A couple starter questions that I can’t get a straight answer about so I figured I’d come to the place I usually find all the answers! Haha
1. I have the original freedom 25 inverter/charger… is that fine for adding solar or do I need to replace that.
2. I know this is a debatable question and usage dependent, but I’m looking to keep batteries topped up when some lights are being used and and the nav instruments. Eventually to be able to run the inverter for charging phones etc. I guess looking for a starting panel wattage we don’t use a lot
3. My basic knowledge of solar… wiring panels to mppt controller and then to batteries? If that is the case then I wouldn’t need to really worry about if the inverter is compatible with solar or if that is a thing…right?.
Anyway I’m usually pretty on the spot when it comes to my systems but Solar is throwing me for a loop… appreciate any help. Thanks and cheers!

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
You are correct any inverter /charger will work fine. As you note the the mppt controller feeds the solar panels directly into the batteries independent of the inverter. (if you also go lithium like I did it may be a different story) As for how much solar panel capacity you need to maintain full battery capacity while running the the items you mention you first need to calculate the load they draw. Then you can calculate the amount of wattage /amps you need to create to offset that load.
When I converted from wet cell to lithium and added solar last year I learned a boat load (pun intended) about solar such as panel sizing , mppt sizing, wire sizing, fuse requirements, series vs parallel wiring, tools needed, types of connectors etc etc by watching a series of you tube videos and reading a web site by a guy named Nate with explorist life (search Nate solar explorist life on you tube). It's like a 23 video series some very basic that you can skip over or through and some you'll watch several times taking notes. However when I was done I confidently calculated needed panel wattage, understood the the impact of temperature, designed a system, picked components and installed my system with out any worries. Well other then how the hell I was going to string the wires from the arch to the controller mounted under the floor near the batteries ( cable grease is your friend )

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024
Hunter 466 Daytona Beach
Awesome! That was my gut feeling on the inverter but wasn’t totally sure and would love to not have to replace that right now when it works perfectly fine. Also thank you for the YouTube series I will def check him out! Cheers

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Awesome! That was my gut feeling on the inverter but wasn’t totally sure and would love to not have to replace that right now when it works perfectly fine. Also thank you for the YouTube series I will def check him out! Cheers
Hi @leary17 - check out my knowledge base article that I've been building out over time. Scroll down to the bottom for information on solar charging systems:
American Mainsail Sailing Co.

Let me know if there's anything that you find confusing. I'm always looking for feedback.

pdrisc

Nov 12, 2019
Hunter 380 Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor
I have the exact same boat and am almost finished with the same project. You don’t need to upgrade your inverter, but there are many other aspects to consider (many already mentioned in the thread). The short version of what I did:
- 2 x 200W hard solar panels above the bimini - attached a frame to the traveler arch and the aft bimini arch (examples on www.geminiproducts.net)
- ran 50ft solar wiring through SS arch to the electrical panel through a new 30A breaker
- installed a Victron 100/50 MPPT controller underneath the nav seat next to the inverter and connected it (through a 50A fuse) to the center post of the inverter draw/battery select knob so it would charge both house banks.
- also installed two Victron battery monitors, but that’s not required.
Feel free to PM me if you have detailed questions about any of that

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I would definitely recommend Victron MPPTs. Get the “SmartSolar” model which has Bluetooth. You will also want either a Victron shunt (SmartShunt or BMV-712), or an inexpensive Smart Battery Sense. This will network with the SmartSolar MPPTs via Bluetooth and allow the MPPTs to compensate for voltage drop and battery temperature.