Adding shore power?

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 260 N/A
Hi All-

I'm fairly new to sailboat ownership so forgive any "stupid" questions I may come up with. Most folks on this board seem truly interested in giving kind and honest advise.

I just purchased a 2000 Hunter 260 with an outboard Honda 9.9. As of now, it just has the DC system onboard. I'm thinking of having shore power added and am wondering if there are any reasons not to do so?

Also, a ball park of the cost would be helpful before I start making phone calls. For me this wouldn't (yet) be a DIY project.

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Shorepower is a good thing to have.. fans, battery charger, other stuff.. You are probably talking in the vicinity of $1000 . That seems high but labor is a big chunk of that ..

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Hi All-

I'm fairly new to sailboat ownership so forgive any "stupid" questions I may come up with. Most folks on this board seem truly interested in giving kind and honest advise.

I just purchased a 2000 Hunter 260 with an outboard Honda 9.9. As of now, it just has the DC system onboard. I'm thinking of having shore power added and am wondering if there are any reasons not to do so?

Also, a ball park of the cost would be helpful before I start making phone calls. For me this wouldn't (yet) be a DIY project.

Thanks.
Defender should have everything you need for a shore power install. www.defender.com You might want to sketch up your ideas and then do a search there to get a materials quote. What do you intend to use the shore power for? Battery charging, AC, etc.? You will need to figure in those costs as well. I have added two files for a Hunter 27 that show some schematics and materials as possible ideas.
Andrew

Attachments

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 260 N/A
Dr. Hoppy;

Send me an email advising where you are and phone number. I will call and advise what I use to do installing shore power on the the 26 and 260 as a dealer along with the 23.5, 240, 25, 270, 27Hunter Edge and even on the H19 waterballast as I quit counting after a 100 installs. It would take too long but once you have done it, a good explanation on what you did would be nice. I am now getting arthritis in the hands. I am retired,
Dave,

I don't know how to email you directly from this board. I hope you see this response and will send me an email to:

glhdc@msn.com

Once we make contact via email, I'll give you more contact info if you want it.

Gary (Drhoppy)

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 260 N/A
Defender should have everything you need for a shore power install. www.defender.com You might want to sketch up your ideas and then do a search there to get a materials quote. What do you intend to use the shore power for? Battery charging, AC, etc.? You will need to figure in those costs as well. I have added two files for a Hunter 27 that show some schematics and materials as possible ideas.
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for you reply and the files. I'll study them to see if this is in my wheelhouse. I've wired/built houses before so perhaps I can manage this myself. If not, I'll farm it out to a marina.

Dec 6, 2014
Hunter 23 Corpus Christi Marina
When Dave Explains this to you would you summarize in this thread? I have purchased a part to install this in my H23. The thru hull is already installed, I just have to hook it up and mount the piece.
I needed charging for my two batteries and 120 sockets for phone & coffee maker.

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 260 N/A
Andrew

Andrew,

I forgot to answer your questions. At this point, I don't plan on adding A/C , refrigeration or the usual power hogs. At the moment there's just the single battery running everything. There's a 300 mA solar cell but that won't do more than top off the battery. I'd like to add a battery so I can dedicate one for the outboard and the other for everything else. At this point, I'm mainly interested in powering a stereo, navigation and other instruments, charging phones/IPads/etc, in addition to the lights down below. I'm planning to change the incandescents to LED which should help, too.

Gary

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If you've wired a house, you can do a boat as well but the requirements for enclosures and wire type and a few other things are quite different. The West Marine "How To" section has some good info starting around this section, you can scroll around different subjects and get some basic ideas going..http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ELCI -GFCI-Electrical-Shock-Protection There are a couple of good books around as well to help with design.. Doing it yourself will save a bunch of dollars.. if done correctly!.. and you'll be an expert on your system from the git-go.. Good Luck with it, Gary..

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 260 N/A
If you've wired a house, you can do a boat as well but the requirements for enclosures and wire type and a few other things are quite different. The West Marine "How To" section has some good info starting around this section, you can scroll around different subjects and get some basic ideas going..http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ELCI -GFCI-Electrical-Shock-Protection There are a couple of good books around as well to help with design.. Doing it yourself will save a bunch of dollars.. if done correctly!.. and you'll be an expert on your system from the git-go.. Good Luck with it, Gary..
Excellent advise. Thank You!

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
To provide another option, we use a Goal Zero Yeti 150 solar generator on our H260 and a Bose bluetooth speaker for sound. The Bose will last a good 8 hours on it's original charge. The generator has outlets for USB and 12V plugs so you can charge most anything with several charges at that. The ship battery runs lights and the starter. I'd like to have the security of a dedicated engine battery and a second for main ship power.

We've thought about shore power, and may still do it at some point, but our location doesn't really justify the need; inland lake and we will take 1-2 trips per year to the coast. I certainly want to install a battery monitor though.

Welcome to the forum.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That brings back memories of my first shorepower installation. An adapter and an extension cord.

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Load will determine what amperage system you need. How much do you currently plan to install?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
your best bet is to get a panel pre made by one of the panel companies ...it will be a 30 amp panel with a main breaker and you can order it with 6 breakers pre wired ...most docks have 30 amp connections for shore power and you will be well served to do it correctly and by abyc standards so as to not create controversy with the insurance companies and while you are at it get the smart plug kit for the outside receptacle along with their power cable...good luck

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
We have gfci breakers in the receptacles on the dock. I plug a heavy duty orange extension cord into the dock receptacle and route it into the rear storage compartment. I then close the hatch. The thick rubber gasket protects the cord and gives some strain relief. It also makes a drip loop both inside the cockpit and inside the boat so no water can run down the cord to the "hot" parts. Into this cord I plug a ground fault protected, circuit breaker protected power strip. I mounted it up high over the rear berth. This gives me plenty of outlets to charge the battery, my phone, play a little radio, and run a fan. There is no chance of ground bonding issues and it is protected. This may bring some scorn on me, but it is safe,works well, and costs little.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
We have gfci breakers in the receptacles on the dock. I plug a heavy duty orange extension cord into the dock receptacle and route it into the rear storage compartment. I then close the hatch. The thick rubber gasket protects the cord and gives some strain relief. It also makes a drip loop both inside the cockpit and inside the boat so no water can run down the cord to the "hot" parts. Into this cord I plug a ground fault protected, circuit breaker protected power strip. I mounted it up high over the rear berth. This gives me plenty of outlets to charge the battery, my phone, play a little radio, and run a fan. There is no chance of ground bonding issues and it is protected. This may bring some scorn on me, but it is safe,works well, and costs little.

As do the silent majority I'd muse...

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter 240 Muskegon
Hi All-

Thanks.
I just finished adding a BlueSeas 30Amp ELSI PN 3116 ($299). main breaker to my hunter 240. I was a little intimidated when i first opened the box but after a call to tech support for a few tips I was able to get it installed over a long weekend. I added a 15A($18) and a 20A ($18) breaker, ordered the Hubbell 30Amp Inlet ($99) . All the parts I ordered from pkys.com. I bought the Triflex wire from the local West Marine ($110). I installed 4 outlets in the boat. All for under $600.

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
Drhoppy, I did this 4 years ago in my h23. Check my profile for pictures of the shore power. I used a Square D 2-20 amp breaker panel. Still works great

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Drhoppy, I did this 4 years ago in my h23. Check my profile for pictures of the shore power. I used a Square D 2-20 amp breaker panel. Still works great
until the boat burns to the water line ....that is a household breaker and not marine grade...you are playing with fire my friend

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
When adding shore power on small boats, many people make the mistake of only adding a 30A main circuit breaker.

For safely and to be ABYC compliant you MUST also have at least one 15A branch circuit breaker in-line, even if there is only one branch. Like this little beauty. BSS 8029.

Last edited: