Adding Reefing Hooks

Apr 15, 2019
Catlina 30 TR Traverse City
Hey guys, I just bought an 85 Catalina 30TR, and it looks like the previous owner never rigged the mainsail for reefing. The setup at the aft end of the boom is setup nicely with the two cars on the starboard side of the boom for jiffy reefing, but it looks like there is no real setup at the goose-neck for the tack. I have flying cringles on the mainsail luff so my thoughts are to install some reefing hooks, but I am not sure what the best/easiest method would be. Should I try and bolt them onto the open holes on the goose neck just below where the tack pin is installed (see attached picture). What kind would be best? Any advice would be appreciated!

Todd
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg

Jun 14, 2019
Catalina 30 TRBSFK Edgewater
Hi Todd,
I believe my 1981 C30 TR has a similar system as yours. I have a line with a hook attached to the end run through a block at the foot of the mast and then back to the cockpit. This gives me the flexibility of choosing how much I want to reef as I can match the luff to the amount of tension I put on the reefing line attached to the leech of the mail.
I hope above makes sense, if not please let me know and I will do my best to clarify.

Apr 15, 2019
Hi Todd,
I believe my 1981 C30 TR has a similar system as yours. I have a line with a hook attached to the end run through a block at the foot of the mast and then back to the cockpit. This gives me the flexibility of choosing how much I want to reef as I can match the luff to the amount of tension I put on the reefing line attached to the leech of the mail.
I hope above makes sense, if not please let me know and I will do my best to clarify.
Hi Frigast, thanks for the reply. I think I understand what you are saying... the reefing hook almost works like a cunningham but run through a turning block at the mast. In order to do this I would have to find another place to put a turning block and run back to my cockpit, but for now I am pretty limited and was hoping to just quickly add some hooks for now maybe upgrade later... or not ;)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a similar set up on oday when I bought it.

I ended up putting reefing hooks at the gooseneck, something like these:
B18E4867-D684-4C8D-98D4-79F57068320C.jpeg
The other end of the boom as 2 reefing lines...I usually only have the 1st line tied in.

When I want to reed, I lower the main sail (unless I am smart enough to put the reef in before raising) and hook the ring over the reef hook, then raise the main until it is tight at the tack.

Then tighten the reefing line, which pulls the back of the sail down and aft.

I have tried the single line reefing set up on this boat a few times (where a single line runs through the ring to set the tack and continues through the boom to also pull down the back of the sail...I just could not get it to set properly.

My simplified way allows for a nice tight reef.

Greg

Apr 15, 2019
Thanks, Greg! That looks like what I am looking to do. How did you install the hooks? Did you put them on the inside of the goose neck on the horizontal pin or something else?

Apr 15, 2019
Have you looked at the C30 owner's manual?
Sure did! It shows the line working through the cringle and tying off at the mast. I would have to cut out the flying cringles in the sail cringle to make that happen.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Sure did! It shows the line working through the cringle and tying off at the mast. I would have to cut out the flying cringles in the sail cringle to make that happen.
You want to keep the dog bones.
FR is indeed using his cunningham as a reefing downhaul.
The rams head hook that Judy shows (I call it a pig's tail) -- the PO (big time racer and YC Commodore) actually had one welded to the head of the tack clevis pin. Looked liked a screwy setup to me, but I was young and dumb 25 years ago so what did I know?. Worked excellently because you can twist the hook (ie, pin rotated) and made it easy to engage the cringle (or when North added dog bones when I got a new main) with no muss no fuss no drips no errors every time. With the twist in the pig's tail, it stays engaged when there is tension on the luff.
The weld broke and I haven't gotten a new hook/pin to get welded on. I'd recommend it highly!

Alternately you can use the line (it's kinda makeshift cunningham) as a reefing line thru the dogbones, no need to remove them. It doesn't need to go thru the cringle to the opposite side. Mine is on a cleat on the port side, so can go thru the bone and bend it back on the same port side cleat. (instead of thru a cringle and bend it on starboard.)

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Thanks, Greg! That looks like what I am looking to do. How did you install the hooks? Did you put them on the inside of the goose neck on the horizontal pin or something else?
Or you can use that cunnigham hook w/ a CH made up at the mast (not run back to the pit.) Works just as well and then you have a CH to boot!

Apr 15, 2019
Wow, thanks for the thoughtful suggestions, everyone! I ordered a few simple reef hooks from west marine and will try and mount them on the horizontal clevis pin. If that doesn’t work then I’ll just see if I can tie the hooks to the end of a line and use them like a Cunningham. I’ll let you know how it works out. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
You want to keep the dog bones... (...editted by Judy...)...Alternately you can use the line (it's kinda makeshift cunningham) as a reefing line thru the dogbones, no need to remove them. It doesn't need to go thru the cringle to the opposite side. Mine is on a cleat on the port side, so can go thru the bone and bend it back on the same port side cleat. (instead of thru a cringle and bend it on starboard.)
As Ken mentioned in the last paragraph, you don't need to run the line through the grommet at the luff to the opposite side. In fact, if you run the reefing line up one side, through the dog bone and back down the same side, you don't need a "mast gate" . You'll be able to get the reef at the luff down pretty close to the gooseneck without removing any slides. (I am assuming that your slides were properly spaced so the slab hangs down far enough no matter how many slides are in the mast track)

Judy

Jan 7, 2011
Yes. On my gooseneck, I had a hole I could put a bolt or clevis pin though. In your photo, it looks like you use the spot the existing clevis pin is in (may need a longer pin).

Greg

Apr 15, 2019
Does anyone have a picture of how they installed their reef hooks at the gooseneck?

Jan 7, 2011
I took this today....

208DE4B9-6C7F-4A42-ABCC-ED4E3237DCB0.jpeg

You can see the reef hook, bolted through a hole in the gooseneck. There is another hook on the other side, but it is hanging down.

Good luck with your project.

Greg