adding new gas to old boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris

I have inherited my Fathers 1971 Pearson 30 . I have two questions. One is that the atomic 4 engine may not do well with the new gas which contains ethenol. I need to put in gas but also have some left over from 3 years ago that does not have ethenol. Should I drain the old gas out? and what additives to I need to get to put in with the new gas?Second question. The batteries keep draining and I think it's the bilge pump . How I can find out, thanks for any help here,

P

PaulM

New Gas

Chris,
The engine can handle the "new" gas fine. The problem is the ethanol content. Ethanol absorbs water and can dissolve gunk in the tank and send it the engine. It also is very bad for fiberglass tanks as the ethanol will start dissolving the resin. There is some evidence that mixing the "old" gas (with MTBE additive) with "new" gas causing problems. The answer is to make sure the tank is clean. Drain out the "old" gas and any sediment/water. Probably a good idea to do anyway. And have a good water/fuel separator. This should be installed directly after the tank and before any fuel pumps. Pump break-up the water into fine droplets and are more difficult to seperate from the fuel. Finally, have a fuel filter before the engine. The following link has a lot of good information on ethanol in fuel.

PaulM

C

chris

thanks

Thanks so much for your advice, I will be in further contact, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.