Adding kayak to sailboat

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Getting ready for my Fall PacNW sail.

Moved the kayak up from the house. Installed a pair of holders to the starboard stanchions. Got them from Fisheries Supply. They are stainless1” tubes. Sturdy 4 bolt clamps to the stanchions at the base. I used a pair of swim noodles to provide cushion for the boat.

going to use the padeye loops on the top to tie the kayak to the stanchion base. Tomorrow I’ll be giving them a test to see how it works. Fingers crossed minimal affect on the boats sailing.

8AA2D287-2BF7-4E89-9197-36BBA12E57E1.jpeg

97377FB8-F570-4D50-9B2B-81A7ECFE4AD8.jpeg

48C69D9F-1D83-4B83-BB8D-36F3395A596B.jpeg

First leg of the trip is taking my sister for a 3 day cruise. Port Townsend - San Juan Islands - Cornet Bay via the La Conner canal - thru Deception Pass back to Port Townsend.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Nicely colour coordinated John. :)

I frequently see those racks used on both motor vessels and sailboats. I believe if the kayak is very well secured you will not have any issues. I tried those exact ones with an inflatable kayak but could not get straps snitched down so that I was confident that the kayak would stay put. I was concerned that it would be one more thing to have to worry about if things got hairy.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Looks good, let us know how it works out John, I may get a set of holders like that. I currently have the kayak inside the lifeline on port and I put the paddle board outside, resting on the cap rail, on starboard. It would be nice to clear up the foredeck a bit more and get the kayak outboard as well. One concern I have is jib sheets or mooring lines snagging on the supports.
Looking forward.jpg

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
We have the same carriers and have used them with the Pelican kayaks that we got from Costco, and now with a pair of Advanced Elements inflatables. We have been very happy with them. When we are not going to be needing them for a while, I loosen the clamps and pivot them back against the lifelines. I do notice that the kayaks add noticeably to our windage when docking in a crosswind.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I had the same on the last boat, and have em on the current boat too. I noticed upwind performance with a kayak loaded was affected on my 30 footer quite a bit. Current boat they're just used to store the inflatable kayak while in the slip. Underway, I deflate the kayak.

Plan on rebedding those stanchions more often. Carrying a kayak definitely caused some leakage. When I was carrying a kayak on a passage I'd run a line from the ring on the mast to the padeyes on top of the carriers to give more support.

Oct 22, 2014
Kayak worked fine in calm seas. Sailed in about 8 knots of wind off the aft beam. Genoa unfurled and furled with out any hiccups.

D6F44761-E2A8-4BF6-B294-4EE8ED1AD0B2.jpeg

nice when I took the picture. Poured down rain the last 2 hours.

Oct 22, 2014
Left Port of Everett 09:27. Arrived Port Townsend 14:50.
Once I got tied up in Point Hudson the rain stopped. The last 2 hours of the cruise was into the rain.
Celebrated a safe arrival with a Sailors shot of 18 year old Kirk and Sweeney’s Rum.
Then off for a bowl of chowder and a pint of Scotch Ale at Sirens.

Hoping weather improves. Want a sail across Juan D Fuca in the morning.

Nov 21, 2007
Hoping weather improves. Want a sail across Juan D Fuca in the morning.
...Small Craft Advisory... all day tomorrow, as well as a Wind Advisory tomorrow and tomorrow night in the San Juans and Northern Inland. :(

Nov 21, 2007
Waiting for you at Tommyknocker’s, in PT…

BB7EFD28-3BE2-43B5-B7A3-92FA1E1EA134.jpeg

We’ll just hang out here in Kingston, ’til the weather improves…

66CB2E6C-CA34-4CF9-91C6-AF0FE3D9929E.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
I went looking for Tommyknockers. A beef pie and a cup of chowder sounded pretty good after the sail. But they are closed on Tuesday’s. So I wandered down Water’s street, as sailors before me, and was called into Sirens. The cooks had prepared a great bowl of chowder and I recommend the Scotch Ale made here in Port Townsend Brewery
Peeping Peater Scotch Ale
An array of brown, roasted and caramel malts create this rich and malty ale. A small addition of peat smoked barley adds a subtle layer of intrigue to this local favorite.

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.6%
Original Gravity (OG): 1.066
Terminal Gravity (TG): 1.016
International Bitterness Units (IBU): 25

I have been listening to the marine forecast and examining the weather data. The wind is up here at Point Hudson. Rocking the boat a bit. The direction is favorable in that it is from the South East . Once cross Admiralty Inlet with the tide I’m thinking there are two options.
  1. I can broad reach up in the lee west coast of Whidbey. Sheltered from much of any waves and slip into the islands
  2. If the forecast wave at 1 meter is real, it would be a quartering sea on a broad reach with reefed sails. Wind and tide are aligned so the sea conditions in Admiralty should not be bad. Will still give Point Wilson a wide berth. A pretty controlled condition expected.
If I stick my nose out into the wind I can always return to the port and day sail the bay. I’ll wait till there is light and maybe walk out to the point to appraise the conditions.

The wind sounds inviting. Maybe that is the Siren’s song.

Oct 22, 2014
Point Hudson will get a second night from my cruising kitty.

We walked out to Point Wilson to take a look at the tidal race.
68D6AAD3-7BFF-4F7D-91D0-9AA8EE75E4DE.jpeg

Looking out across the Juan D Fuca does not look too bad.

DD0E5547-2380-4701-BFBF-AE475FFB75BB.jpeg

But the wind is against the incoming tide. And looking across to Whidbey you can see the start of the tidal race and the waves forming when wind is against Tide.

2763BC02-8DE0-4C02-9C8C-2F3ABDB58E1F.jpeg

Here is the Western Buoy and you can see area of severe wave activity. Like a washing machine. Waves coming in all directions.

While the wind was not more than 15 with higher gust during our walk, by the time we reached the boat the storm wind had picked up. With the boat healing at the dock 10 degrees under the bare poles, I decided today was a port day. The wind continued gusting to 25 all day. Forecast to be strengthen.

We sit tonight rocking away.
Tomorrow promises to be improving conditions.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
2350 PDT. Wind is back up and blowing from the south. Point Wilson weather station reports 37 mph gusting to 56 mph.

Boat is on a finger pier starboard tie. We are laying a foot or more off the dock as the boat strains and tugs at her new (this season) dock lines. Before I turned in I doubled up running the 1/2” line, boat to dock cleat and back to the boat cleat for both the bow and stern.

Now in the dark, looking at the way the boat is moving, I decided another couple of lines to back them up would make sense. I crossed the bow to the port deck cleat and added the 3rd line to a second dock cleat. I did the same at the stern. I tensioned all lines to try and even the boat pull on all lines.

When I got back aboard it felt like she was more stable. Still heeling but not yanking and jerking against her restraints as before.

The wind is certainly testing the rigging as it sings and moans in the dark.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The wind is certainly testing the rigging as it sings and moans in the dark.

A sleeping pill for sure.
Still heeling but not yanking and jerking against her restraints as before.
Do you use double braid or three strand dock lines? No jerking with three strand, but double braid for sure.

Wise choice to wait the weather system out. Wish I were there.