Adding GPS at the helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I guess this could post at any site, but throught I would start with the 310 group first.

I am adding a GPS chart plotter at the helm. Means I have to get a hole in the guard tube, and fish a wire in and down to the existing pod where I will pick up attachment points for NEMA Talk and also power for the unit.

Wanted to get some advice on: Best way to drill the stainless tube? Best way to fish the wiring, and pick up - pull into the pod unit? Does anyone know if Catalina had a plan as does all wire run in the left or right tube, or is it mixed? (I have not had the nav pod open, I had to order the security wrench to get the back off.

Advice or ideas?

Thanks to all

Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
I added a ray marine chart plotter to my helm. Surprisingly, the Raymarine installer when drilling files found
Wiring already in place. When installing the Raymarine autopilot,depth finder,etc,Catalina left some additional
Wiring in place. So check out was is already in place you may be surprised
Bob

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
The port tube was the only one drilled through the cock pit floor. Mine is maxed out using a phish tape to pull my added C90W RM chart plotter, and S1 auto helm wiring. I ran the Auto helm motor wire through the engine control panel tube and out the back.

Attachments

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
You can drill the hole with a regular drill and bit (that was your first question). Then, assuming you can get the wires and connectors through the tube, you can either use a fish tape or tie on a messenger line (tape on is better - or both) to pull your wires through. When tape is used, make sure your messenger line (or fish tape) is taped several feet in length so it does not come apart in the middle of your run somewhere.
If you don't have the room, you can consider running your wires through a separate tube that runs paralell along your pedestal guard. You can buy stainless tube of various sizes and if you need a larger diameter tube, you can even use SS hand rails used in bathrooms.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I guess this could post at any site, but throught I would start with the 310 group first.

I am adding a GPS chart plotter at the helm. Means I have to get a hole in the guard tube, and fish a wire in and down to the existing pod where I will pick up attachment points for NEMA Talk and also power for the unit.

Wanted to get some advice on: Best way to drill the stainless tube? Best way to fish the wiring, and pick up - pull into the pod unit? Does anyone know if Catalina had a plan as does all wire run in the left or right tube, or is it mixed? (I have not had the nav pod open, I had to order the security wrench to get the back off.

Advice or ideas?

Thanks to all

Long Story

I use a Dremil tool alot.

This is how I ran wiring for a moniter.

The holes and wiring on a Catalina is WYSIWYG.....(How is that Ray?)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1dbpaul/20110801#

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Look before you leap

Long Story
I use a Dremil tool alot.
This is how I ran wiring for a moniter.
The holes and wiring on a Catalina is WYSIWYG.....(How is that Ray?) https://picasaweb.google.com/1dbpaul/20110801#
paulj :troll:
Main Sail has posted in the main forums about how to drill stainless. Before you do I would follow Witzends advice and check in your NavPod to see what wiring is there. I don't know for sure, but I believe that most wiring is routed up through the port tube. A chartplotter at the helm is the best place for it especially when you are navigating at night. In the attached files are my wiring diagram and a photo of my chartplotter layout. AFAIAC all chartplotters are essentially the same, but I went with a Humminbird because I liked the unit and have had good luck with their products (regret I did not get the integrated fish finder). I mounted mine on a piece of aluminum I-beam and bolted it to my pedestal with an antenna clamp - makes it easy to take off when not in use.

For the wiring, again I would follow witz's advice and see what is there first. I was able to fish wires up through my port side (and when wiring it up found the PO had already fished a wire for connecting the GPS output to the DSC VHF). The Humminbird had a pretty big connector for the GPS antenna I mounted on my stbd stern rail seat but it did fit.

If you are worried about room in there why not just get a chartplotter that has an internal GPS? I would highly highly recommend you connect the GPS out to your VHF radio - that may save your life someday. One other thing that got me was that this did not work until I hooked a redundant ground inside the power panel where my VHF radio is and then everything worked great. NMEA 0183 signals are very low power and any float or noise on the ground can cause it not to work. As you will note in the one photo, on the Standard Horizon (and I believe ICOM) you will see lat/lon on the radio when it is working.

Attachments

Aug 24, 2009
and most helpful. Once the wrench comes and I can take the nav-pod apart that will help.

Paul, did you end up coming out the pod to feed the cable to your unit once the wire was up from underneath? It looked that way, and if I do this, I should not have to drill any stainless. If so what type grommet did you seal it with? (my unit draws less then .6 amps so I figure I can pull power right from the power for the ST insturments) and all the NEMA can be picked up from the back of the auto-pilot. Were the holes that large, or is that the dremmel at work?

RP, thank you for the photos and drawings. Yes I purchased a smaller unit, with GPS internal, even the antinna is internal, (option is there for other) with no connector on the one end, should be pretty easy I hope to get it into place. The chart ploter has the ability to display radar also, if I purchase the $900 dome, that cable will be much bigger. Seeing my unit came loaded with charts, I am pretty happy for under $600.00 Now if I can just get it mounted for under $200.00

Thanks for the help will post when finished - any more advice, keep it coming.
Russ

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Ram Mount?

I have heard that these work pretty well. West Marine has them. Look at the mounting for your unit and go to Ram Mounts website and check out what they have. You might get away for $50.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
A different approach: I too wanted to run it inside the binnacle guard tube but there was no room to get the large connectors up the existing chase and the exit hole in the tube would be way too large, so I drilled through the cockpit sole, sealed the plywood core (hopefully:cry:) and simply ran the cables up the outside of the tube with tie wrap. Not the most elegant solution but has become unobtrusive with time. I made a shelf that fits the GPS nicely between the navpod above and the compass (I've seen no affect on the compass) and allows me to rotate the GPS on its bracket for best view.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Aug 24, 2009
Thank you to a number of people for ideas that I expanded on. I also picked up a set of bit's at my local Harbor Freight, that was a great find. (photos are coming) Opened the pod and not a lot of extra wires, in fact nothing that was not in use. Notes were right on, only the port post went through the deck, and only the port as drilled for access to the pod. Good thing there is 10 awg wire coming for the nav stuff so I did not feel bad picking up the power right off those wires. Now I need to find the little spade terminals that fit the ST insturments for signal. After some playing, I have come up with a no cost mount, made from stuff I had here. As I said the ideas helped. Will post photos of my work tomorros, and with it in place this weekend. thanks to all

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
Just to add a thought about those bits, you can buy a set of the pin-in torx wrenches at Sears. They come in a set that folds up like a pocket knife or allen wrenches, cost around $10. They also carry a variety of driver and socket bits that are pin-in torx.

Aug 24, 2009
How it all turned out

Time for follow up. There were a lot of great ideas, and each gave me something more to look at. For electrical I ended up going into the bottom of the pod, and just put new spade connectors on the existing 10 awg power lines coming into the autopilot. (the GPS used a 18 awg wire, and I also installed an inline fuse to hopefuly protect power to the other Ray Marine stuff) So no fishing, or drilling of stainless. I was able to pick up 1/8" spade terminals at Radio Shack, and with a little help from Standard Horizion have the interface working. For mounting the unit, after looking at the cost of even the most simple ram mount, I opted for using stuff I had in the box. A little bit of this, and extra rail clamp, and well the photos show how it turned out. It is a little high, but can see over it when standing, and under it when sitting, so not so bad. You can also see (in the next to last photo) that it can be turned 180 degrees and viewed when sitting under the dodger underway. Total cost - about an hour of time. Thought the photos would help.

Russ

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.