Adding Bilge Counter

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
I'm going to add a bilge counter and would like to know if someone on the forum has added one and where did you pick up the direct battery voltage? Is there a fuse providing voltage to the bilge pump mounted somewhere that I could tap off 12 volts for the counter?
Thanks
Frank Hines
"No Tippy"

Jul 25, 2007
Catalina 310 Middle River, MD

Attachments

May 22, 2017
I went with this one and have been very happy with it: https://waterwitchinc.com/cycle-counters/
Alan
I would like to know where you attached the plus + battery lead that goes directly to the battery. Did you connect at the panel battery switch + terminal for battery 1 or 2? I know the - lead goes to the ground bar, and the hot counter lead goes to the hot lead that turns the light on and the pump activates. It's the battery + lead on the counter that I'm wondering about.
Thanks
Frank

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Alan
I would like to know where you attached the plus + battery lead that goes directly to the battery. Did you connect at the panel battery switch + terminal for battery 1 or 2? I know the - lead goes to the ground bar, and the hot counter lead goes to the hot lead that turns the light on and the pump activates. It's the battery + lead on the counter that I'm wondering about.
Thanks
Frank
See attached docs.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I don't understand the need for this. Do you have a leak?
bob

• If you have a leak and the bilge pump removes the water, you don't have a clew many times until its too late.
  • The bilge pump goes out, the leak becomes worse and overcomes it, areas are mildewed because they are being douched by a leak, etc., etc.
  • If the boat is used infrequently, this can be a bigger deal.
  • Having a counter allows a sailor to get a feel for the number of cycles -- it doesn't show the volume, per se, but it gives you quick idea of what's been happening. Just periodically checking it each time you come aboard or when you're under way is a good practice to get into.

May 22, 2017
See attached docs.
I have the docs you sent. They came with the counter. My question is on a 310, where do I connect the + terminal lead on the counter that is connected directly to a battery and doesn't go thru the battery select switch on the panel? I guess I could connect it to a battery terminal on the battery select switch.
P.S> For Bob. A boat at my marina took a lightening strike. It killed one battery and the fuel gauge and put a small hole in a through-hull. (Lightening is a strange thing) They only go to their boat on weekends. Before leaving their slip, they noticed a large number of bilge runs in a 24 hour period and in the week long period beyond the baseline numbers. They knew something additional was wrong due to the strike.
Frank

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I have the docs you sent. They came with the counter. My question is on a 310, where do I connect the + terminal lead on the counter that is connected directly to a battery and doesn't go thru the battery select switch on the panel? I guess I could connect it to a battery terminal on the battery select switch.
P.S> For Bob. A boat at my marina took a lightening strike. It killed one battery and the fuel gauge and put a small hole in a through-hull. (Lightening is a strange thing) They only go to their boat on weekends. Before leaving their slip, they noticed a large number of bilge runs in a 24 hour period and in the week long period beyond the baseline numbers. They knew something additional was wrong due to the strike.
Frank
Frank, there should be a wire from either Batt1 or Batt2 on the battery switch to the breaker for the bilge pump on your electric panel. You could connect to the protected side of that-just be sure to leave the breaker on all the time.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I don't understand the need for this. Do you have a leak?
Alternatively, you could replace the traditional shaft packing with a dripless one. I check to see if I have ANY water in the bilge each time I visit the boat. If it gets a paper towel wet, I'm searching for the problem. It is possible.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
It must be nice to have a dry bilge all the time. I have a furling mainsail mast. Water enters the boat via the mast every time it rains. I filled the gap in the fuller as much as I could, but water still gets by the screw