Adding AC to Hunter 30

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Is that a single duct unit? I found that duel duct portable units (inlet and outlet vents) work better on boats. I have a single duct unit that I basically changed to a duel by enclosing it and running a inlet vent to a port.
yes it is a single duct unit. I'vc heard that the dual duct units are a bit more efficient.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We installed a 12,000 btu Mermaid under the v-berth in the area previously intended for the removeable cushion......It was a tight fit but works fine now....not always at the beginning, but now is great....I can and will be happy to tell you everything I learned or would do differently....but the time is late this evening so I'll write more tomorrow. If I had it all to do over again I
would buy a 16,000 btu unit, but the 12,000 is adequate......I'm not certain I've seen any boats at our club that get really cold
in the daytime in the Kansas 108 degree sun....but that's another story....so look here tomorrow and I'll try to take the time to
list what I would do differently....I do want to go sailing tomorrow as we are suppose to be in the 80's with clear skies and 10 knot breezes....so it may be later in the day....bear with me...Patrick

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Headed to the lake in about an hour to sail....will take pictures of the Mermaid....the issue with size is this....there was only about a $ 200.00 difference between the 12,000 btu unit and the 16,000 btu unit.....space requirements and dimensions of the units were virtually the same.....weight of course was more....ours is ducted to both port and starboard sides of the boat...but
rather than cut a hole thru the awtharthship stringer for the duct we stopped at that point....have one duct into the vberth, and two into the main salon....after considerable disappointment with the daytime cooling, we added a 200 cfm in-duct booster fan at the main duct of the unit itself.....this made a huge difference in cooling...as it boosted the flow of cold air to the three
bulkhead grilles.....we used flex duct as it was easy...but flex duct slows the movement of air throughout the system...hence our adding the in-duct fan......it's as easy as smooth vs. rough....in slowing the air flow....our unit came with a totally
programmable (?) thermostat which works extremely well....we are not allowed by our club to leave the ac on when we leave the club as they are putting up the cash for electrical upgrades to make all 5 of our slips (160 slips) have adequate juice for running the air conditioners....they charge us $ 100.00 a year to operate the AC.....for those boats with AC only...no one is getting rich from this, but we are staying cool in Kansas.....exp. at night. more later unless you have had enough...Pat