ADDING A RACOR TYPE FILTER TO A CAT. 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RAY

HELP!! I've been having fuel quality problems lately (don't use it up therefore it's old!). I am considering adding a Racor 120AS filter to backup the engine installed filter. My questions are: 1.Does anyone know the ID size of the fuel line(s)? 2. Is there any other way to clean up the fuel? I dont want to face dumping 15 gals. of diesel fuel if possible.

P

Peter

Fuel filter

I don't know the size that you are looking for, but I would add the Racor. But, this will not solve all your problems. Dump the fuel and start again otherwise you'll just be replacing your filters way too often, and you'll still have bad fuels. Consider putting additives in the fuel to condition it and have it last longer. There are also companies that will come to the dock and filter the fuel for you, but for 15 gallons, I doubt if it's worth the cost.

D

Don

You don't need a Racor, you need to clean..

your tank. It will cost you $6 (one time investment) and about 30 min. each spring. At a auto parts store, buy a small plastic pump that fits a plastic quart oil container. Also, buy a 24in piece of metal brake line. Scrounge up 3 clear glass bottles (peanut butter is my favorite). Remove the fuel feed line from the tank. On a c27 you will probably have to take the shut off valve apart to get it to rotate out. On the end of the feed tube is a screen. You can throw it away or clean it if you like. Stick the brake line on the end of the pump and put it in the hole you just opened in the tank. All the water and crud settles to the forward inboard end of the tank where you aim the brake line. Fill the first glass. By the second or third glass, you will be getting clean fuel. Just pour the clean fuel back in the tank. Properly dispose of the contaminated fuel. Put everything back together and bleed the air out of the system. Do this once a year and add a little fuel stabilizer and you should never have a fuel problem or a corroded tank. BTW, the little pump is great for changing you transmission oil. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.