Adding a new rope clutch

Apr 3, 2024
Catalina 350 Tallahassee
I want to replace a jam cleat for my mainsheet with a rope clutch but cannot figure how to gain access to the underside of the deck where the nuts and washers need to be installed.
any suggestions?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
There is an embedded 1/4" aluminum plate just under the fiberglass. Position your device, mark the holes, drill, tap and add 4200 on the underside of the device then install the device.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The jam cleat and your existing clutches are not through bolted but rather there is an aluminum plate embedded at the mounting place and the hardware is screwed to it. The clam cleat is 3-3/4 inches between mounting holes and uses 5/16 flathead screws and the clutch takes a 1/4 screw and spaced at 2-5/8, so not a "direct" R&R.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
I ordered those plates from Garhauer after reading your post Ted. I never liked the clam cleat set up for my main sheets, they slipped too easily and I only ever used the starboard side sheet through the topside winch.

I ordered the plates and subsequent clutch. It cost about $200 for the 4 pieces with shipping from CA to NY.

I have a 1997 Catalina 380 and when I went to install the plates, they were a bit off. The holes to hold the bracket to the topside were just about 1mm out of alignment. I tried to bully the bolt but that wouldn't work as it would bind after about 1/4" of turning.

The bracket did come with 2 small 1/4" flat head screws that are about 5/8" long. So I could use the original longer screw on the back side and then the small screw for the front. This worked just fine. All I had to do was go buy 2 new shorter screws for the clutches. Unfortunately, the ship's store near me only had oval head screws so I had to add a locking washer to make them tight.

Once done, it was a bit of a chore to feed the sheet through. They are very large in diameter (not sure what, easily 3/4"?). I found that disengaging the clutch all the way and then prying the back of the clutch up allowed me to feed the sheet through very quickly....trial and error!

I feel there is now way too much line for this set up. Since I have clutches, there is no need for the line to reach all the way to the cockpit wheel. I'll have to play with it once I get the boat in the water.

Appreciate the tip!
Chris

11-11s_4.jpg 11-11S-CCC-clamp-cleat-adaptor-plate-4.png 20240418_133355.jpg 20240418_144658.jpg 20240418_144701.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Surprised and dismayed to hear the plate was off Chris, I thought all the pieces involved were unchanged for long enough they'd be exact. I wish I'd thought to mention I keep a cheap "grabber" on board because I got so frustrated feeding lines thru clutches. It ALMOST always works. I'm lucky there is still a small old school hardware store near harbor with a big assortment of stainless. Don't know how much longer it can remain, they are trying to turn Dana Point from a sleepy beach town to a mega resort like most of the rest of the coast. We don't have to haul for winter but I just got notice my slip fee is going up 10%. Oh, don't forget to leave enough mainsheet for DDW.
1713883451947.png

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I replaced mine last season with the Garhauler parts, as others have noted. It was quick ands easy, less then 15 minutes. I think out was less then $120 dollars.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you are screwing SS bolts into an aluminum plate, it is a good idea to coat the bolt with some Tef-Gel to prevent corrosion.