Add a gas strut to Lazarette seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have a Hunter 38 we acquired new last year. Have found that the cockpit lazarette lid is extremely large and heavy. Find the bungi chord approach less that satisfactory. Because of the shape of the hatch lid and how far it opens, I'm not quite sure exactly how to install the struts.
Does anyone have pictures of an installation that they would share?

Thanks

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I did this on my Pearson 28 that I used to own. I was tired of replacing the folding springs because people could not read and bent the springs the wrong way. Here is the photo of the finished product. I used the same holes for the mounting brackets that the springs used so it looked stock from above.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks - installation looks good. Pictures help. The lid on the Hunter is \__ shape with a lip at the bottom of seat that is vertical. The hinge is at the top of the back.

Dealing with that complex shape has had me perplexed.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Using a strut that is mounted up inside the locker and pushes the back up. You may have to mount to the floor.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks Tim
Your sketch is right on target with the shape of the locker
Appreciate your insights. I'll do some playing around with it

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I did a strut installation on my Beneteau 323 wirh an L shaped seat. I actually ran the strut in the oppositt direction to that shown in the photos. I added a small tongue bolted throuugh and extending downward from the seat back to provide better leverage.

I used a longer strut perhaps than necessary with about a 30 pound rating.

It works very well, no more unexpected closings!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Doug
Would you have a picture of your installation? The sketch Tim sent was most helpful but I do think it may take up a lot of locker space to do it that way.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I don't have a photo of it and cannot get to my boat right now. However, there is a sketch posted on Beneteau323owners.net . check out chapter 13...

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks
Will look there. Feeling early spring - I'm all ready to launch - way early this year. Unfortunately the line up in the yard won't allow until May 14. Oh well too cold out on the water right now anyway.

larryw

Jun 9, 2004
Beneteau OC400 Long Beach, CA
I've been playing with ideas for years for my Bene 40. Those are some heavy hatches! I was thinking an extension, with a slot cut for attaching, would work,but never actually made anything and don't have anything in a sendable format, so I'm really no help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.