Add a Bilge pump to a Mac 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac 22

Mar 28, 2009
MacGregor MacGregor 22 Carlyle Lake IL
First let me say hello to everyone, I just joined today. I have a 1982 Macgregor 22 that did not have a bilge pump in it when I got it. I have sailed her for 2 years without one but we trailer her so we did not worry too much about having a pump. This year we are going to slip her and I am just a little worried about water getting into the boat and us not there so I want to add a automatic bilge pump. I want to mount the pump in the keel well but I don’t know the best way to run the hose. Should I install a thru hull in the transom? That will be about 15 feet from the pump. Any Ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Some have run the hose to the back cock pit and even installed hand pump under the lazaret. I have see where others have t'd off from the cockpit drain hose. Then you won't have to cut a through hole.

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
On the Mac I had the bilge pump drained into the cockpit and was dependent on the cockpit drain. It would squirt on unsuspecting crews legs, which was pretty funny. The real problem was the cockpit drain hose seems prone to failure every 20 years or so. If this occurred the bilge pump would be completely futile.

Mac 22

Mar 28, 2009
MacGregor MacGregor 22 Carlyle Lake IL
Thank you for your responses. I was thinking of teeing in the cockpit drain or the winch cable tube to keep from putting a thru hull in. Has anyone done this? If so what was required and have you had any leaks from this mod.
Thanks
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.