Adapting Sail control from the cockpit

• Thread starter Dave Williamson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Williamson

Do to physical reasons I would like to be able to control my sails from the cockpit. Can it be done? If so what is reqired and how to do it. Thanks to any one with any suggestions. Dave.

S

Steve Paul

Absolutely, it is preferred by most

Dave, absolutely this is done all the time. On my boat I have a roller furler head sail (you'll need that). All sail control lines can be led aft to the cockpit. Jib halyard, main halyard etc. Anchoring can be done this way but not usually. If you are disabled you might consider a stern anchor setup, not the most desireable but will work. A remote electric windlass can be arranged but most people prefer for many reasons to control the anchor from the bow where it can be seen. Many manufacturers make turning blocks and block holders for arranging the deck lines. Go to the macsailor's page and look there. Also go to a large sailing marina and ask to check out some of the boats. You'll find most larger boats with lines led aft. http://www.macgregor-boats.com/sailaway3.html Steve

B

Bruce

Steve is right

Steve is Right, Dave. You will want roller furling for the jib, mainsail with slugs instead of bolt rope and main halyard with turning blocks leading to the cockpit(furling jib will have that provision already)and a multiple rope clutch or several cleats. If you boat doesn't have a boomkicker, which acts a bit like a vang and will also hold up the boom as the sail comes down, you definetly need a topping lift which should be adjustable from the cockpit as well(my old boat simply had a line from the masthead to the end of the boom tied off). All of this is desireable even if you don't sail solo and can still get around pretty well. My link shows my V21 which should be pretty similar to your mac. On the links that steve provided, also look up Lee's V21 in particular where I got most of my ideas from...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Steve Paul

broken link! I've been seeing you post a link for a while, but it just goes to the main page (at bob's site). where on the main page are you trying to link? (try hovering mouse over link name, and rt click, open in new window.) thats the link you want to paste. like this: http://www.macgregor-boats.com/galebait/galebait1.html this is what you want

D

Dave Williamson

Hi! Steve thank you for your quick response. I appreciate yours and Bruce,s information and advice, and will put it to good use. May the wind be always in your sails. Safe & happy sailing. Dave

D

Dave Williamson

Hi! Bruce: Thank you for your prompt reponse. I will take yours and Steve,s information and advice. May the wind always be in your sails. Safe & happy sailing. Thanks. Dave :)

S

Steve Paul

I agree, sorry to mislead

Hi Mrbill, I haven't even seen this page you linked. Nice job. I've been sending the guys to the home page since there is so much information there. Didn't mean to lead anyone astray but a lot of questions can be answered by perusing this site looking for stuff. Best regards, Steve

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
sailaway?

yes gailbait is a really nice preped boat. over the top imho. The reason I questioned your link was it had a 'sailaway' in the url, and I have looked and looked and didnt see a link for that boat. bob whites site is a really great resource for anyone thinking of modifying their boat. cheers!

S

Steve Paul

Hey it's ok

It's ok with me. I lost my secretary when I retired. I still need someone with smarts to look after me. It's a big job but someone's got to do it! Regards all, Steve :)

Nov 27, 2005
- - West Des Moines, Iowa
Inexpensive roller furling

I just bought a V222 with "custom" (read that home made) roller furling in November. The seller swears by it and his friend who made it for him has the real thing and says that the custom version is just as good. The boat is in winter storage right now or I would take a picture of it. The head sail, a 150 genny, has a pocket sown in it to fit over a 1" PVC pipe that is joined to extend the full length of the forestay. I have not closely examined the drum at the bottom but it is plastic and the sail ties onto that. The forestay runs up the inside of the PVC tube with the sail tied at the top of the tube. With hardware leading the furling line to the cockpit he said it cost him about $20. If you are not in a big sweat to invest $750 in a Pro-furl I can take a shot of it in April when I get back up north and put it on this site. Anyone interested can email me at sail4ever@sbcglobal.net and I will start a list of those interested. Dick

May 24, 2004
- - Oconomowoc, WI
Cockpit Controls

You'll want slugs on your mains'l. I prefer a good downhaul system with a hanked-on jib but RF might be better for you. Main halyard aft to the cockpit; you might need a longer one. A block at the base of the mast and the starboard stanchion base. A rope clutch might work better for you than a cleat. You can get your sheets aft to the helm with a cam-cleat on the coaming top. I carry a small folding anchor in the cockpit. You can probably put one in the lazarette, or on a stern rail if you have one. Run your anchor line forward, outside the shrouds, thru a forward cleat, back to the cockpit, and cleated off. If you need to anchor, drop it over the side, and you have 25' of anchor line out. You can adjust the length from the cockpit.

D

Dave Williamson

Cockpit Control

Thank you for your information. I will certainly use it along with other submitted advice. Dave.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.