ACU Location

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Good Day
We have a 1993 33.5
Looks like our Raymarine ST 4000 has finally given up. I'm looking to replace it with the EV 100. Has anyone here done this install? I'm wondering where you mounted the ACU. Pictures would be great but even a description of where you placed it works for me.
many thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Looks like our Raymarine ST 4000 has finally given up.
Are you interested in troubleshooting the problem(s) for your present ST4000 or just want to switch to a newer unit ?

I've had myST4000 for 24 years and it behaves like a champ. I did a minor rebuild with a few 3D printer components from a supplier near me, greased all of the rollers where they had only been oil on sintered bronze bearing (a design mistake) and it's back in business, I hope for another 24 years.

I'm not about to get rid of my ST4000 as I've heard of several reports that seemed to feel the EV 100 was not as solidly built as the ST4000. Based on that and for a few dollars in parts, I'll hang on to the old one as long as I can. It also looks brand new as the whole binnacle is under a cover.

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the reply Ralph.
But from what i've been reading and a tech out your way my control head is shot. Which is the brains of the 4000.
When I switch from stby to auto I get a low battery warning in under a min. Nobody works on these and Raymarine gave up support a long time ago.

Jan 4, 2006
my control head is shot. Which is the brains of the 4000.
Yes, unfortunately when the control head is shot not much you can do other than weep.

Any chance you've got a loose connection (high resistance) somewhere in your (+) wiring to the unit and the control head is actually telling the truth ?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I'm not about to get rid of my ST4000 as I've heard of several reports that seemed to feel the EV 100 was not as solidly built as the ST4000.
Ralph,
The ST4000 (black wheel spokes) was built more robustly than the newer ST4000+. The ST4000 is a keeper as long as you can get replacement parts. The EV100 has a better compass, control head, & computer; however, the internal components of the wheel is same as ST4000+. There may have been some improvement to the drive motor.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Good Day
We have a 1993 33.5
Has anyone here done this install? I'm wondering where you mounted the ACU. Pictures would be great but even a description of where you placed it works for me.
many thanks
Completed replacement of old wheel pilot with the EV100 wheel pilot in 2020. I mounted the computer & compass in a large cockpit lazarrete and mounted the computer as close to centerline as possible on my Beneteau. I previously owned a 1988 Hunter 33.5 and am quite familiar with the huge starboard lazarette. Think that would be a good location for the computer & compass; out of the weather & close to the helm.

Sep 4, 2007
Ralph I'll have to double check the voltages. All the connects looked good but that doesn't mean they are.
I've got the grey wheel. I was told it would work with the EV 100..

Jan 4, 2006
Ralph I'll have to double check the voltages.

When I switch from stby to auto I get a low battery warning in under a min.
Maybe check your battery first for a voltage reading to see what's going to the ST4000. Make sure the 4000 is first in STBY when you check the voltage and then in AUTO when you check it and see what voltage you get when it gives a low battery warning.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My compass is mounted in my bilge, above any nuisance water line. My ACU is mounted in my lazzarette near my battery charger. Both are protected from rain or waves, mounted up high on the wall of the lazzarette.

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I've got the grey wheel. I was told it would work with the EV 100..
That ST4000+ wheel that you presently have is the same wheel that is included in the EV100 wheel pilot kit. At least you will have some spare parts from the old wheel.