Active solar tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The more I look at it the less it seems doable given a bunch of construction details I'm stuck with. it was just a thought.
The DIY panel mounts the cells from the bottom. That is to say you position the cells face down on the glass panel then wire them and cover the entire array with a special poly mat that gets gooey when you heat it. Sort of like shrink wrap but sticky. Once you cool it it does not get soft if you heat it again. So all the hardware would be in contact with the cooling fluid and only separated from it by the plastic membrane. this is great for just an electrical panel as it lets cooling air get to the back of the cells. The "box" type collector lets the cells bake in a greenhouse and electrical production suffers due to the high heat.
I test burned a single axis sensor and the control circuit preforms just as planned. This was under very overcast skies to boot!! when the west sensors where presented to the sky the turn right (run the motor to turn the array toward the west came on and same same for the east sensors. When both where presented to the sky the unit went off.
I'm becoming amazed what you can do with a single chip and 6 LEDS. adding a second independent altitude tracking circuit should be a breeze. The H-bridge and motors are pretty standard fair. Still have to figure out how to drive all this stuff with out an expensive set of gears but I have some ideas to play with. the key is keeping the friction and balancing everything so the motors are not having to do much work. course the wind will want to move things around so perhaps a break that only comes on when the sensors are both nulled out...... still inventing

Status
Not open for further replies.