Acrylic slider over companionway

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
I'm betting that this topic has been discussed before but my search has not turned anything up that is specific to my Hunter 23. In short, my acrylic slider has cracked and I am wondering what others have done with this issue. The Hunter store wants over $325 to purchase new plus $125 in shipping...far to rich for my budget. Thinking about just replacing it with plywood but would like to hear from others before I get started. If there is a thread somewhere, perhaps someone can point me to it??

Thanks

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I'm not sure if that piece is acrylic (Plexiglass) or polycarbonate (Lexan). Apparently Lexan is stronger and doesn't crack as easily. I looked at a random website:

LEXAN CLEAR POLYCARBONATE SHEETS at freckleface.com, LEXAN SHEET, HYZOD SHEET, MAKROLON SHEET, PALTUF SHEET, PALSUN SHEET, TUFFAK SHEET

Shipping can be expensive so maybe get a quote from there or a similar place on the size you need and compare that to what the Hunter Store said (which probably doesn't include new wook pieces?). You could drill and countersink the screwholes for the teak pieces from the old piece. You may be able to find what you need at a materials supply store near you and avoid shipping charges.

You could also consider something like HDPE or UHMW (both likely solid white) etc, but I have no idea about the strengths of these materials. I'm a no-maintenance kinda guy so plywood would be my last choice!

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I have always used acrylic, be sure to cut the angles correctly to keep water heading out, not in. At least 1/2 inch. I've done it once with plywood, use the thickest you can and epoxy seal the edges before painting.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would use starboard

or some HDPE knock-off.

To be honest, I don't like the fact that the top hatch is transparent. I normally put the pop-top enclosure up when I'm at anchor so it has no value then but when I do leave the boat locked up... the transparent top acts like a greenhouse and makes the boat ridiculously hot.

Sep 7, 2011
Good advice from all....thanks...I think maybe Starboard might be the way to go...

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you're in Calgary, you'll definitely find a sales outlet for acrylic. Something around 1/2" and smoky in colour for privacy.

Many sales outlets also do plastic fabrication so take the old one (even in pieces) with you for a pattern.

Jan 7, 2020
Hunter 31 Belmont Bay Marina, Woodbridge
You can get HDPE sheets in any size and color. Even with shipping, I have found it is cheapest and fastest to get sheets on eBay. It cuts easily, although you may have to sand the edges when you are done. I used it to replace the teak companionway boards. Fast and easy and no maintenance needed!

Sep 7, 2011
You can get HDPE sheets in any size and color. Even with shipping, I have found it is cheapest and fastest to get sheets on eBay. It cuts easily, although you may have to sand the edges when you are done. I used it to replace the teak companionway boards. Fast and easy and no maintenance needed!
The problem is that these sheets are only 24" wide and the hatch measures 34" wide by 29" deep...I suppose that I could glue two pieces together....

Jan 7, 2020
Hunter 31 Belmont Bay Marina, Woodbridge
I got 30" x 48" for my last project. We built a house deck with it and it came in 4' x 8' sheets from the manufacturer.

Feb 4, 2015
1981 Hunter 33 Green cove Springs marina, fl
I used a 1/2" piece of Plexiglass I ordered from Home Depot. The slider rails I changed and used strips of aluminum also from HD. The wood parts I custom made from Teak pieces I got from Sailor's Exchange in Saint Augustine, Fl. Cost me about $150 and is twice a durable as a prefab deal.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You might check with marine yards or even window companies or even auto repair places for material but I do not suggest wood

DrKGB

Mar 16, 2020
Hunter Hunter 23 Appling GA
This post was super helpful. The acrylic slider on my H23 split in two and I replaced it with the Starboard (link above) recommended by rgranger at less than half the price of the acrylic. I found BoatOutfitters super easy to work with and they had it to me within a few days. Thanks for all the great advice.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
If it helps any, on my H25.5 I used the brown board that is used around plants in landscaping. It is 5/8 thick, 8" wide and 12 feet long. It can be cut into 3 planks and slipped into the groove.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Talk to local sign and plastic fabrication shops. I would recommend Piedmont Plastics (nationwide) if you want raw material