ACP crack in the Bow Storage Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
I'm looking for advice on the best way to repair a long crack in the bow storage area in my 170. It extends sideways across the entire bottom and, as shown by the photos, has significient displacement on the port side.

I believe there are several possibilities for repair...

1) Remove a 3-4 inch strip the length of the crack and repair with epoxy/fiberglass in accordance with some of the ACP repair guides discussed in this forum

2) Remove the entire bottom of the bow storage area and repair with fiberglass

3) Reduce the displaced crack, seal with Devcon Plastic Welder followed by fiberglassing the entire floor for added strength

The crack probably happened when I was standing in the area. I want to be able to load this area in the future without worry so I'm leaning toward option number 3.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks...

Attachments

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Have you talked to Hunter? There have been problems with ACP cracks in this boat and they may be willing to help with the repair or at least give you some advice.

Have you Googled "ACP repair" ? There is a lot of stuff on this subject.

Here's one of many links: http://www.sailing-obsession.com/ACP Repair.pdf

Last edited:

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
As a matter of fact, I provided that link in a recent ACP repair thread! I originally saw it in the archives from the old site and hope some of the regular posters are still reading this forum so I can relay my thanks for all the good information.

That link is what I had in mind, along with http://www.sailing-obsession.com/ACPrepair.htm when discussing the different options above but I'm mostly concerned about the load strength with the completed repair. Using the Plastic Welder by itself is clearly not an option and I don't believe a limited fiberglass repair will have long-term success, given the flex that may be encountered in this area.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Bow problems

When I bought my Hunter 170 in late summer of 2007(The Wreck of 98) I didn't realize that the bow area had been replaced. Last winter it developed cracks and I discovered according to many on this site, that 98's are prone to cracking. When I started working on it with Devcon I discovered that the entire floor area had been replaced, repaired and repainted. I made my repairs according to regular ACP procedures which made it through the summer fine. Now that there are several inches of snow on the boat, before i could get the cover on for the winter, I discovered that all of my repair jobs of last winter need to be repaired again this winter. The same cracks in the same place, both in the bow and one on the floor, aft port side, have reapeared and need to be re-repaired. Nothing new, just the same old cracks are back. This winter I will reinforce with even more fiberglass cloth and more Devcon and pray for the best. I don't think that they are cracks from standing in the bow, I just don't think they weather well!
Bottom line is that whatever you do, chances are you will have to do it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.