Achilles Inflatable Floor valve leak

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have had a leak in the inflatable floor for 5+ years. See the picture below.
2018_0603_152410.JPG

The leak is from under the clamping ring that secures the threaded valve insert. The leak is not through the valve or cap. After I removed the valve, cap , and securing ring, I discovered that the hypalon floor material is not snugly around the threaded insert. See below.

2013_0505_152823.JPG

I have attempted to repair this by applying sealer over the hypalon gap area with failing results. I asked a Achilles representative at a boat show if they could repair it and I was told that they would attempt a repair for $300 but that there would be no guarantee. I politely declined the offer.
This area is not perfectly flat so I don't know if I could glue another piece of hypalon closely around the threaded fitting and then re-install the clamping ring.
So, does anyone have a "magic bullet" suggestion?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I think your problem is deeper than just the lip around the threaded ring. I think the seal is made in the raised conical section below the ring. Here is a link to the part http://www.instockmotorsports.com/achilles-rubber-base-achc333/ . I can't imagine that a qualified Achillies repair facility couldn't do a proper replacement (at some price).

Short of spending $300 you might try some of this, http://www.inlandmarine.us/seal.html . I used it on my previous hypalon dinghy and it it worked very well. I didn't have a valve problem like you do but it still might be worth a shot.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Rich Stidger last year @LeslieTroyer took his inflatable to a local shop and they repaired a leak. I wonder if you have a raft shop in your area that might be able to make the repair.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
@Rich Stidger last year @LeslieTroyer took his inflatable to a local shop and they repaired a leak. I wonder if you have a raft shop in your area that might be able to make the repair.
I am land-locked, 150 miles from the ocean. But I will check to see if there is a repair dealer anywhere near my harbor. It is certainly worth a shot. Thanks for the suggestion, I might not have thought of it since I am a confirmed DIYer.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
This may be blasphemy, but I repaired a gash in my Achilles floor 20 years ago with 5200 . Still holding fine. Try it..

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@jssailem thanks for not telling everyone how stupid I was to turn on the propane heater while the 1yr old inflatable was sitting on top of the vent. Nice perfectly round 3” hole. I felt very stupid and $300 poorer.

Edit: at least I’m not as bad of as one of their customers whose done the same thing 3 times

Les

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
West Systems G Flex, use a syringe. tease back the loose hypalon first, clean with acetone. Weight the repair. 5200 will take too long to cure.