Accu-Gage Waste Tank Monitoring System

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blair Dehuff

For C350 sailors on lakes and rivers (or coastal cruisers who rarely go outside the 3 mile limit), or for those who just don't feel right dumping overboard, the following may be of interest if you want to minimize too frequent pumpouts. The diagnosis by Snake River Electronics of the C350's non-linear waste tank monitor readings is as follows. Initially, the manufacturer advised me that additional foil strips applied in an alternate configuration would be the solution. However, they tried this and it didn't work. They now propose to cut off the bottom 3 inches of each foil strip in order to make the tank readings more linear. This also requires relocating the electrical connections on each strip, which are currently at the bottom of the strips. I plan to try this and will advise here if this rectifies the inaccurate tank readings. Snake River says that a conservative first cut of 3 inches should help. However, if it doesn't, Snake River advises to gradually keep cutting off more foil until you are satisfied with the accuracy. Sounds like they are only guessing what's going to happen. The tank is such an odd shape, it's hard to tell. Whatever the result, the waste tank readings can't end up being much more useless than they are now. It might even help. The only other alternative is continued taping on the tank (which is at least a bit more accurate than the gauge). Or, tear out the existing tank entirely and put in a clear plastic one where you can actually see the level (but good luck finding the right size/configuration tank).

P

Pete

Guage vs "The Knock Test"

The sending units work very well for all the water tanks however the holding tank requires constant recalibration - everytime we do a pump out I have found that a quick rinse of the holding tank with fresh water helps then recalibrate to empty - however but we have found that the best evaluation when seeing that the tank is reading full is to do the "knock" test on the tank. Very Accurate!

C

Chic Lasser

Fireboy-Xintex

After listening to your problems and those of others that are using the Snake River system I personally have decided to go to the Fire Boy system. There is another C36 on Lake Ontario with that system and it works great, no moving parts and sealed but a internal mechanision that reads all levels. The nicest part is that all tanks are are read together and checked intermittenly thus no or little battery drain.They make a single tank unit and you might want to look at it for your boat. More $$$$ but through defender cheaper.

J

Jack

Snake River OK here.

Our Snake River unit has functioned well on our holding tank for three seasons with no recalibration. Boat is C 36 MkII hull no. 2000. We used the instructions supplied for installation and calibration.

B

Blair Dehuff

Snake River Accu-Gage System

I agree the Snake River system itself is a good system. Additionally, they have been very helpful in reviewing and evaluation the problem. The systems works fine for the water tanks. The problem with the tank level accuracy of the holding tank is the odd shape of the C350 holding tank. The Accu-Gage cannot read the level properly because the holding tank is 11" in depth at the bottom tapering up to 16" deep at the top. This results in non-linear readings per Snake River's evaluation. Catalina did a good job of designing the tank shape to maximize the holding capacity of the tank vis-a-vis the available space to install it aboove and behind the head. However, it makes it difficult for the monitoring system to give you accurate readings (I guess you can't have everything).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Gages are Nice, but...

...my fuel gage stopped working years ago and I read the engine hours and know how much fuel I use on average after making consistent readings and putting them on a spreadsheet. 1/2 gallon per hour over almost 6 years. Have you considered figuring out how much per flush, based on Peggy's recent post, and then just keeping track of how much use is made? I know it's hard to ask people to count the number of times they use the head and how many strokes, but it's gotta average out over time. You could even do it at the dock with just pumping the head. Just an alternative idea. Any time a tank is oddly configured you will have that problem. The fuel tanks on our C34s are oddly shaped, too, and a straight reading of the gages (when they work!) is not accurate either, since the tank is smaller at the bottom than at the top. I understand your issue completely. Good luck, Stu PS Blair - nice report on the vibration. Very good work on your part for the C350 "community."

Status
Not open for further replies.