Accu-Gage for H'31 Holding Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael O'

Has anyone ever added an Accu-gage tank monitor to their holding tank? If so, where was the module mounted and where was the gauge mounted? The water tank seems out of the question for th H'31. I'm considering this for a spring project. I've already installed on for the diesal tank.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Why?

Michael: Why do you think that the water tank is out of the question? I have the project started (one of many). The cables for the hook ups are run to the fuel and water tanks. I now need to run them to the holding tank. I mounted my display on the area next to the chart table and under the shelf just aft of the sliding doors. I made a frame out of 1 x 2 pine and then got a piece of black plastic to mount the display in. This piece of place houses the Accu-gage display and my battery monitor for the Statpower Charger.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Why indeed?

I'm also asking why connecting the AcuGage system to your water tank seems out of the question. Mount the read-out panel in any location that's convenient for you to read it. Follow directions to install the system. If you have problems or questions about how to install it, contact the mfr: dennis@snake-river.org Fwiw, Hunter how uses AcuGage tank level monitors on all their boat on which they include tank level monitors.

M

Michael O'

Why-response

Peggy-I'll bet you've never seen the water tank on a Hunter '31. The water tank on the H'31 is a molded-in part of the aft berth, with the hull becoming part of the tank side. The placement of the module and wires becomes problematic, since you don't want them sitting out where everybody can see them in the cabin. There is no discreet "rear" or "side" area to attach the strips of foil and the sensing module with wires. Steve, I'd enjoy seeing pictures of your installation! The diesal fuel tank was easy, nice big square plastic container buried deep in the "hell" lazarette. The water tank, unfortunately, is nothing like that.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Panel.

Michael: I do not have the tape on the tanks yet. I think (assuming that your boat is like mine) that you can get into the area where the drain hose exits the water tank. This is the deepest part of the tank. You should be able to apply the tape and sensor in that area. I have attached a photo of the control panel for your review. Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Attachments

P

You may have to use an internal sender

It works the same way as the external, it's just encased in a PVC tube and goes inside the tank instead of on the outside. It's actually the sender for metal tanks, but no reason why it can't be used in any tank that doesn't have a suitable outside surface. No problem with mixing internal and external sensors. Internal senders are made to order for the tank depth, so you'll have to measure and order it. It only needs less than an inch above the tank, so clearance shouldn't be a problem as long as you have access to the top of the tank to drill a hole for it. E-mail Dennis Firiello at Snake River: dennis@snake-river.org

J

Jim Rushing

Check the 35.5 Forum for pictures

of the installation of the sending unit in a metal tank. Works great, but can be a bear to install in the top of the tank. Mine was installed long before the panel was cut out.

M

Michael O'

Internal Sender

Peggy's idea of using an internal sender would be ideal, except for one problem. The "tank" top is surface for the cushion in the aft berth. Anything poking out of the tank will be covered (if not crushed) by the cushion, body, or stowed gear that accumulates on the aft berth/watertank on the H'31. If I were closer to my boat (stored inside a heated warehouse) I'd take a few digital photos to help demonstrate the problem.

P

I don't think that's a problem, Mike

Worst case, you MIGHT have to put a second sheet of plywood above the tank for the mattress to rest on, but we're only talking an inch or less above the tank...and that might not be necessary if you covered the wires with a "half tube"...or maybe even you can just tape over 'em. There's a way...we just have to find it. Check out the senders on the Snake River website (link below) and e-mail Dennis. He'll know how much pressure you can put directly on the sender...it is, after all, only a mattress...not like putting something down on top of it that won't give.

R

Rip Edmundson

where are photo and link that are mentioned?

In the replies to this Post, one person mentions a photo and Peggy mentions a "link below". Where are photo and link that are mentioned? They aren't with the replies. Thanks, Rip

P

I thought I'd included the link to Snake River

It's below. All you have to do see the photo is open the post in this thread that has a little camera next to it and read it. It's there.

R

Rip Edmundson

See the link (thanks) but still no photo

I see the link on Peggy's Post now but Steve's Post on "My HOW Forum" does not have a camera beside it or a photo reference under the Post. Bug? I do see the camera by Steve's Post if I come into the forum from the Home page. Interesting.

J

Jim Rushing

35.5 Holding Tank with Snake River Unit

If there is something on top of the tank, there could be a clearance problem. You need a good couple of inches to have enough clearance. Look at the picture.

Attachments

M

Michael O'

Water Tank/acu-gauge

Jim-thanks for the photo. It makes it quite easy to see that the internal module won't work for this application. This would be more than the proverbial pea under the mattress for anyone trying to sleep on that berth! Steve Dion is going to take some pics of his solution and post them. There may be a way (although painful) to gain access to the side of the tank through a nearby cubbyhole. Stay tuned!

P

Something to remember, Mike...

In finding a place for the external sensor... Ideally you want any guage to be dead-on accurate--when it say 1/2 full in a 40 gallon tank, there's 20 gallons in the tank. But dead-on accuracy requires a vertical surface...any slope will alter the accuracy. However, absolutely accuracy in a water tank isn't critical as long as it doesn't indicate you still have 10-15 gallons when you only have one before the pump starts sucking air. All a gauge really needs to do is to let you know whether you have plenty of water or are getting low...if you have a couple of gallons +/-, so what? So don't get TOO obsessed with gaining access to the only surface that's absolutely vertical. If you have to put it on a slanted wall, just know how far off accurate the read-out is and live with it unless it's so far off it's useless.

M

Michael O'

Good Advice-Peggie!

I appreciate your suggestions! After 17 years with the same boat, I can't believe I'm finally going to have some data on water levels prior to the tap going dry. I must confess that I'm not looking forward to the similar install to the holding tank, where the access is even more limited. I will take the opportunity to upgrade/replace my hoses with the higher quality less permeable material.

P

Holding tank accuracy is a little more important

'cuz you don't ever want to overflow out the vent...so a couple of gallons of inaccuracy can either fool someone who doesn't know--or forgot to remember--into flushing when the tank is actually full. It's also important know whether it's really empty. So I'd try to make that one as accurate as possible.

M

Mac Lindsay

Gauge

Michael; Lift up the wood cover in front of your water tank, or the one to the left of the water tank(looking aft) look inside and you will see the flat outer walls of the molded in water tank. That's how mine is on my 1984 H31 and I have owned it new since 1984. I also have an accu gauge but havn't installed it yet so am interested in Steve Dion's installation. Another way of getting a rudimentary gauge is to take the top off the water tank, drill a hole at the bottom and top, install hose fittings and put a length of clear hose between the two. The hose will show water in it that relates to how much is in the tank. Mac

M

Michael O'

Great photo/ water tank wall

Thanks for getting the digital camera in the dark spaces of the aft berth(tank), Steve! So where are the pieces of the special tape and the sensing module? I didn't see them in the photo. I think you are correct in choosing this area for the acu-gauge wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.