Accessing hose from freshwater tank because of suspected leak

Apr 16, 2021
Hunter 340 New Bern
On a 2000 Hunter 340, I have sudden losses of water from the freshwater tank in the V-berth - meaning that with the pump off, I might lose 1/4 of tank overnight. Then it may go down steadily from there. If I need to repair or replace the hose from the tank, how is this even possible? There's no space between the built-in shelving that is wedged into the fiberglass. There's a little panel on the right-side lower cubby - the only access. There's just no way I can see to get to the hose. After an extensive investigation with a surveyor, there is no leak under the tank, but I want to check this hose. There is no leak after the pump. (I'm putting aside the bilge for the moment - it does fill within about an hour, but since I'm putting a bag of ice in the "fridge" everyday - that would explain it. Also the keel maybe weeping.)
The three pictures show:
1. The exit from the v-berth running under the settee to the pump (dry)
2. The dry bottom under the tank with the hose going under the compartment to come out under the settee. (I was able to take this photo from the bottom right cubby after removing the panel.
3. Looking directly down at the hose as it exits the tank (appears dry). This space is about 2, maybe 3, inches with the tank pushed all the way to the bow. The green strap is a tie-down I inserted (with extraordinary effort to replace the original broken tie-down).

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There will be a hunter owner that might be able to provide some ideas.

You can also call the SBO office.
The number is "Call us M-F 9am to 3:30pm Pacific time at 877-932-7245."
They can see you up with a Hunter expert to trouble shoot a specific issue.

Apr 16, 2021
Hunter 340 New Bern
There will be a hunter owner that might be able to provide some ideas.

You can also call the SBO office.
The number is "Call us M-F 9am to 3:30pm Pacific time at 877-932-7245."
They can see you up with a Hunter expert to trouble shoot a specific issue.
That's some kind of sales outfit.
The Hunter-Marlow number is 386-462-3077
I got a helpful gent on the line, but apparently they lost their Hunter database before 2010.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps @Dave Groshong can give you a number to reach out to the consulting team.

SBO
SailboatOwners.com, 650 S. Orcas Ave, Ste. 118, Seattle, WA 98108
877-932-7245 M-F 9am - 3:30pm Pacific time

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Mike,
On my 2000 340(new to me), I have replaced “all” the freshwater hoses, except that one 3-4 foot length. I want to replace it, not because of a leak, as you described, but because I want to give myself more movement in the line to be able to add a better winterizing access point and change it to match my new 15mm hosing. But I haven‘t attempted it yet. But it ain‘t broke so I don‘t want to fix it.
That being said, at least on mine, you have to remove the cushions from the front V berth, then you should see a lot of screws holding down the floorboards for the bedding cushions. About the same amount of screws you need to remove form the floorboards under the settee cushions to replace the water heater.
This should allow you access to the left side of the tank and see the hosing from the tank to the pump. It’s a deep drop to the hosing but, if your “flexible“ enough it can be reached.
If I’m reading your description right, you got to the spot from the left side access, but I don‘t see any hose line in your 3rd photo. And that‘s a small access point, how did you get in there?
If you can find the leak and hopefully it‘s “after” the tank fitting (it must be if you are saying there is no water at the tank) and in the line, so you can cut the line and add a fitting that transitions the original 1/2 inch line to another size or back to 1/2 inch and continue on from there.
I’m looking for a posting someone suggested to me about a possible transition connection. As soon as I find it I’ll post it here.
This information may help you out, I hope it does. It should offer some guidence.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Mike,
Found it..... “jviss”, posted a reply a while back....15mm x 1/2 “ John Guest Acetal Union Connector, from US Plastic Co. They have other sizes available also.
So if your leak is in the hose or fitting after the tank your in luck. A connector from the original hosing to a new piece of hosing then to the pump should get you out of the situation.
keep us posted as to your progress.