Access to rudder post on a Y30?

Nov 4, 2018
Yamaha 30 Hayden Bay, Portland, OR
I just purchased a 1981 Y30 with tiller steering. The 4 bolts on the circular flange holding the upper part of the rudder post have loosened and I need to get a spanner on the nuts underneath the flange to prevent them from turning whilst I tighten said bolts. But how to get at them is the question? In an older post I read that someone managed to crawl under the sole of the cockpit. Egad! I checked that out on my boat and maybe it is possible, but I would have to remove some of the walls of the starboard lazarette to find out.

So, instead, I am considering cutting an 8" by 10" hole in the rear wall of the stern lazarette and making an access panel. The lazarette’s rear wall is relatively thin fiberglass and it sounds pretty hollow when I thump on it. I can visualize (imagine) that when I cut out a section of the rear wall of the lazarette, I would see the rudder post and transom, and be able to reach up and get a spanner on those loose nuts under the flange. But, really, I have no idea what is behind the lazarette.

Anyone done something like this? Anyone know what is behind the lazarette’s rear/stern wall? Many thanks for your help.

Jan 4, 2019
Yamaha 30 Everett
Hi Greg,
My husband says we have access to that through the port side double berth. Nice to meet another Y30 owner. Ours is 1984.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @ArsenandLiza. See you hail out of Everett. Look forward to you sharing about your Yamaha 30.

Satori

Sep 25, 2008
Yamaha Y-30 MkII Sidney BC
Hi Greg,
My husband says we have access to that through the port side double berth. Nice to meet another Y30 owner. Ours is 1984.
It isn't easy or comfortable but yes I believe you can access it by removing the panel at the end of the port berth. I was able to replace the engine ventilation fan through there, and also remove the old diesel furnace.
Like I said, not necessarily comfortable, and don't drop a tool!

Craig
SV Satori,
Sidney BC