Access to Genoa Track Bolts on 26S?

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
I am trying to access the nuts on the genoa track bolts via the inspection/access port above the rear bunks under the cockpit. It appears the flotation foam must have been placed in there prior to the deck going on, as I can see no way of getting the foam out through the access hatch to get at the nuts for the genoa track. Does anyone have any suggestions?

On a second note a PO has fitted a track for the bimini to the rear of the genoa tacks. I cannot see how these bimini tracks could be through-bolted as there is not access to this area. I guess they must just be held on with two self taping screws? Does not seem very secure. Does anyone have a similar arrangement?

Attachments

Aug 8, 2012
MacGregor 26s Brighton
Sorry, no genoa tracks at all on my 26s :(

I think they would help if I had a set , something else for the to do list.

good luck. Chapster5

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had screws holding my tracks until a big wind ripped them out. I cut 2 each (4) inspection plates into the sides behind the back cockpit cushions when I re-installed the tracks. It turned out to be wasted effort since I never move the bimini forward. But it does allow you to firmly secure your bimini.

I don't see how those genoa tracks help with sail shape. They seem to be too short and too far back to make a difference. Do you ever use them? Maybe for a spinnaker?

Oct 21, 2010
I had screws holding my tracks until a big wind ripped them out. I cut 2 each (4) inspection plates into the sides behind the back cockpit cushions when I re-installed the tracks. .............
Thanks Justin,
I assume you are referring to your bimini tracks and had them located in a similar position to mine? Did you use the round screw in type inspection ports? Were the tracks attached to the top of the coaming, like mine, or to the side of the coaming?

......I don't see how those genoa tracks help with sail shape. They seem to be too short and too far back to make a difference. Do you ever use them? Maybe for a spinnaker?
You are probably correct here. When I purchased the boat it came with a 100% jib and a 150% genoa. I suspect the first owner just sailed with just the jib. I know, from receipts that came with the boat, that a later owner (about 13 years ago) purchased the CDI furler and genoa but probably never set the genoa up correctly. When I get the boat back in the water I will try a barber hauler further forward on the genoa just to experiment with tracking position.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Justin,
I assume you are referring to your bimini tracks and had them located in a similar position to mine? Did you use the round screw in type inspection ports? Were the tracks attached to the top of the coaming, like mine, or to the side of the coaming?

You are probably correct here. When I purchased the boat it came with a 100% jib and a 150% genoa. I suspect the first owner just sailed with just the jib. I know, from receipts that came with the boat, that a later owner (about 13 years ago) purchased the CDI furler and genoa but probably never set the genoa up correctly. When I get the boat back in the water I will try a barber hauler further forward on the genoa just to experiment with tracking position.
Yes, my tracks are longer but mounted on top like yours. If I removed the mainsheet I could cover the companionway with the bimini. I would need a pigtail on the backstay to stabilize the boom.The inspection plates have the screw in covers. I forget the manuf.
I think the barber hauler is a good idea.

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks Bill & Justin for your help. It has made me realize that the inspection hatches I have below the cockpit coamings (above the back bunks) are perhaps not stock standard from the Macgregor factory.

I have attached a photo of the port side inspection hatch and the hatch cover of the starboard side. It seems like the covers had some sort of dark laminate on them that has gone brittle and parted company with the plastic once it was removed - perhaps it is just acrylic or perspex with some sort of protective cover left on to darken them. I will just have to hack some of the flotation foam apart so I can move it around and get access to the nuts under the genoa/jib track.

Looks like I might have to put some inspection ports in the cockpit to get access to the bolts on the bimini track - will probably wait until I have a problem with the tracks the way they are.

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
sure looks like that's how it was installed. mine in that spot is only about 3" round.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hack away! I did.
You may want to think about the size of the cover before you cut a hole....
I can find white plexi at a reasonable price up to about 7' wide. You may live in a less pilxi impoverished part of the world though.