Access Mac25 Cabin Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2007
Macgregor 25 Oneida Lake
I am planning on running the control lines on my Mac25 back to the cockpit. To do this I will be adding the following hardware to the cabin top:
1) Mast organizer plate under the mast step (to attach blocks at base of mast)
2) Deck organizer block (triple)
3) Rope clutch (triple)

All of these require access to the ceiling in the cabin in order to attache backing plates and other hardware. My question is, how do you remove the cloth material on the ceiling without destroying it? There's nothing obvious jumping out at me.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience with this type of modfication or advice on how to get under the ceiling material. (btw, I did a search of the forum archives and did not find anything under Mac25.)

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
If it's like mine, the best you can do is peel it off and use it for a pattern. One thing to think of is that once you are finished, there will be a bunch of bolts sticking down that could be dangerous. What I did was grind off the sprayglue in the corners and glue some 1x2 x6" blocks in with 5200, then installed beadboard plywood. In the picture, you can see the blocks on the bulkhead as well as the varnished beadboard panel. Hold the blocks on with duct tape while the 5200 dries.

Tim

Attachments

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
beautiful job, Timo! I was actually thinking of doing something like that myself, but I was concerned with how it would turn out. It looks great!!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
If your ceiling carpet is in good shape I would just leave it and put the screws and nuts with washers through the carpet. When the screws are trimmed so you don't bump your head on them they don't look that bad, IMHO. I will give you easy access to the deckware if you need to remove it later. I used mine to attach fishing pole hangers. I'll post picts tomorrow night when I get back from the boat.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Mac 25 ceiling

The carpet on my ceiling was glued to 1/4 in. plywood. The plywood was installed using several bolts through the cabin roof. The wiring was run between the plywood and fibreglass. If you are going to drill through the carpet be careful since the drill can catch some of the carpet threading and pull it out over the length of the piece. It happened to me. Also be carefull that you don't drill through any wiring.

Aug 19, 2007
Macgregor 25 Oneida Lake
Thanks for all the tips everyone. My carpet is in pretty good shape, and if I do want to remove it, it sounds like you ruin it. Therefore, I might just try to go right through the carpet as CAGUY recommends. If I don't like the looks (or if the bolts heads prove too dangerous for my folicly challenged head), I can go with the replacement approach suggested by Timo42 with no real loss or wmu (work made useless).

Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.