Access hole to under engine from bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Callaghan

Trying to get to the bottom of the oil pan is a pain, so I've decided to install an access panel thru the bilge. Using a hobie cat twist access plate, 4 1/2", I plan to drill thru the slanted fiberglass. I realized that I must make 2 holes as that p to s strut is hollow, about 2' thick. I called Catalina and they said it was not a bearing wall type of situation. Has anybody else done this, and what did you use? Thanks for any input.

B

Bob Camarena

Why?

Why go to all that trouble? Buy a suction-type oil removal pump and pump your oil out through the dipstick tube. There's really no reason to get to the bottom of the oil pan unless there's a leak or damage.

P

Peter

Access hole

I use a pump also. Very little mess and easy. If you're looking to drain every drop of oil you can consider a custom fitting with a length of hose on it that is attached to the drain.

C

cole

pre oiler

Why dont you try a preoiler? The previous owner installed one with a morse fitting. I merely attach a pigtail and pump the oil in to a gallon jug. works like a champ and extends the life of the motor by circulating the oil before starting. I think defender has them@4 boatunits

Status
Not open for further replies.