AC Races

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
anyone watching the AC races? Pretty amazing boats and action. Lots of lead changes. Any slight error and the trailing boat is going so fast they blow right by. Top speeds I've seen about 42 knots or 48 mph.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
They certainly are amazing. A different sport really. What's funny is that the grinders are just juicing up the hydraulics - nothing to do with sail trim. (Oh, that's right, it's not a sail, it's a wing.) Still, fun to watch.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's pretty cool.... but I miss watching the crew work and the tactics unfolding. Everything happens so fast I don't think the announcers have any idea what's going on tactically. One boat gets a lead.....next camera shot the other boat is in the lead.... because they caught a lift.... but you can' really see it, or watch it, it just happens. They should incorporate wind direction data in their graphics.... show how he lifts and knocks develop and are recognized... etc.
I miss the tacking duels in match racing and the spinnaker work. The crew communication. The afterguard strategizing. None of that here.... pretty much the driver is doing everything.... and we have no idea what that is.
That said I do enjoy viewing it..... although it is so far removed from what we do as sailors I don't think there's much to learn. It's more for non sailors or the Red Bull/Xgames crowd....

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, what Joe said. The coverage should have wind direction data. Looks like the Kiwi decision to turn their grinders into cyclists was a brilliant innovation. They are tacking and gybing really well. Anyone see a single Japanese sailor on Team SoftBank?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
In case you missed this collision between GBR and JPN. Pretty scary stuff, and glad both crews avoided serious injury. Lots of fun watching these fast cats fly.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Anyone see a single Japanese sailor on Team SoftBank?
There is no nationality in this series.... although publicity sells it as such.... with the flags etc. This is a battle of corporate sponsors....syndicates, if you will. Most of the skippers are Aussie or Kiwi as are most of the crew.
The national identity is tied to the syndicate sponsor.... and the sailing venue is the choice of the defender... all the crew are professionals.... they'll get a gig wherever they can.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010

Yuki Kasatani (grinder), Kazuhiko Sofuku (general manager), and Yugo Yoshida (grinder)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So how fast do these boats go?

Jan 2, 2017
Up to 50 knots! What's amazing is that they go 3-4x wind speed. Downwind, their apparent wind goes negative so they "tack"!
Bernoulli's principle is action.
-Alastair.

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Gunni. I stand corrected. Pretty fast either way!
-Alastair.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Oh, I expect we will seen more than 50 kts if the winds come up to SanFrancisco Bay standards.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Cool, I can't even imagine what that is like!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I saw over 42 knots the other day, a little over 48 mph. These boats foil for the whole race. One screw up letting a hull hit the water and the competitor goes flying by. Lots of action.