AC Outlets don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I've been married (to the same Admiral) for 36 years and still don't understand her some of the time so I should not be surprised that after 13 years I Still don't understand the systems on my 310. Last weekend I noticed that the microwave was not working and my diagnostic brain went into circuit beaker, microwave plug in the cabinet (not GFIC), checked other AC outlets and no power in the other galley GFIC outlet or the V-berth outlet (not GFIC) or the head (not GFIC????). Well, the 15 amp breaker must have blown. So, I had a spare and replaced the breaker (always place a towel under your work or you will loose another nut or screw into the abyss in back of the electrical box). Microwave and outlets still don't work. Now it's time to look at the electrical schematic and, try to figure out why. Find that I forgot the GFIC outlet in the aft cabin so I reset that GFIC and everything works. I still don't understand why a tripped GFIC would shut down all the other AC outlets. Sort of like the old Xmas tree light strings. Is this a required electrical standard on boats? And, why not a GFIC plug in the head under the sink? The Admiral is still harder to understand since she does not come with a manual.

Nov 11, 2009
Pearson 365 Ketch Babylon, Long Island
A single GFCI outlet can protect the entire circuit, so if it trips, the entire circuit is off.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
BioAndy is correct. The GFIC is the usually the first outlet of the circuit and when it trips it cuts off power to all outlets downstream on that circuit. As for the head outlet it maybe connected to another circuit. On my C309 it is connected to a circuit on the starboard side and the head is on the port side. Trip your GFIC's one at a time and see if it trips the head outlet. Bob

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Another for what BioAndy said.

I think one problem with the C310 wiring is the existence of the second GFCI outlet (in the galley, next too the sink). You can cause some problems with 2 GFCI outlets on the same run. I haven't fully looked into this yet. But I think this might be a reason why we tend to trip the GFCI more than we should.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.