AC installation on Catalina 310

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2011
Catalina 310 Rock Hall
I have a 2002 Catalina 310 in the yard that the owner wants us to install a 9000 BTU air conditioner on. Looking for info on the best place to install it and how to run the duct work. My first thought was to remove the pair of drawers on the starboard side of the v berth and install the unit there. My only problem is running the duct work from there to the hanging locker to put the discharge into the main cabin. There is a step that the duct work has to go over and then thru a hole into the hanging locker and the problem is that the duct work is outside of the v berth and locker. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Compressor/evaporator should be located in the back section of the port cockpit locker. The return will come from aft berth via plenum box. The flexible source duct will travel through the head drop down storage compartments and into the salon cabinet with a vent and onto the forward birth via the compartment behind the port salon settee with a second vent. The water input pump and thru-hull works well from under the port side of the aft bed with the outlet thru-hulled under the head sink.
The setup cools well and keeps the noise in the aft cabin, we sleep in the forward V birth.
CruiseAir manufactured my unit.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
9000 BTU sounds pretty small. Catalina Yachts now recommends a 16000 BTU unit for the 309, which has the same cabin volume and also mounts the unit at the aft end of the boat. I just installed a Mermaid 16K R/C unit this winter, and it works great so far, though it remains to be seen how it'll do in the summer.

May 18, 2011
Catalina 310 Rock Hall
AC installation

My only concern with that is I didnt think there was enough room to properly run the 6 inch duct behind the head without crushing it. But I will look at this again. Did you run the ducting thru the cockpit locker or thru the aft cabin?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
From what I recall, the vent duct work runs from the unit in the port cockpit locker directly thru the bulkhead and into the head so it comes out into the side of the drop down door compartments. I'm guessing it is 4"- 5" duct, but not sure. I will try to take some pics next time I'm up. It will be a couple of weeks though.

May 18, 2011
Catalina 310 Rock Hall
My only concern with that is that the unit calls for a 6" discharge. In my experience if you go smaller than that then you run the risk of the unit freezing up because you dont have adequate volume of air on the discharge side.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I have a factory install (per PO) on my 2005. Its a 16,000 btu under the forward berth with duct running through the hanging locker-its not exposed but not sure how its run without being on the boat. I'll take a look and let you know if you want to go that route. It works fine but I would prefer the installation in the aft locker as Witzend describes. A 9,000btu seems awfully light.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
My only concern with that is that the unit calls for a 6" discharge. In my experience if you go smaller than that then you run the risk of the unit freezing up because you dont have adequate volume of air on the discharge side.
Have used it for a +12 hours period never froze up the evaporator, kept the cabin nice and cold though. I will find out what the BTU rating is next time I'm at the boat.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
You might want to check the article posted on the 310 IA site - the one where you get a link to this forum. On the top is a button for maintenance and there is an article on installation of an AC to a 310.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
If you go the 310 International web site, and click the box on Maintenance. There is a full reprint of the Mainsheet article on installing an AC unit

Status
Not open for further replies.