AC Condensate Drain Oprion

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
+1 on the venturi system. I think I have the Marvair. Just don't forget to drain it in the winter. I only run my a/c when I'm on the boat. It has allowed me to have a dry bilge, which is nice.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have a venturi on my A/C outlet, and I'm not sure yet that it doesn't restrict the flow quite a bit. It also makes the discharge very foamy. Doesn't hurt anything, just looks odd.

My A/C is well above the waterline, likely could drain the condensate through the deck/propane locker drain.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I have a venturi on my A/C outlet, and I'm not sure yet that it doesn't restrict the flow quite a bit. It also makes the discharge very foamy. Doesn't hurt anything, just looks odd.

My A/C is well above the waterline, likely could drain the condensate through the deck/propane locker drain.
A properly sized Venturi won’t restrict flowrate. It can allow air to be entrained due to what it does which causes the aeration you described as “foamy” which is a non-issue. If your Venturi tube is larger than the hose feeding it, the flowrate could not be constrained.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
We bought our 310 from a brokerage in Kemah, TX, where is sat with a port ajar and bilge wet, cooking in the TX heat. The boat had only 88 hours, but the mildew was everywhere. It's work, but you can beat it down. Plenty of threads on mildew control.

Our first action was to purchase a small dehumidifier which we placed on the countertop to drain into the galley sink. Really dried out the boat.

(I could have run the AC, but is drained into the bilge. Thanks so much for the suggestions above)!

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
We bought our 310 from a brokerage in Kemah, TX, where is sat with a port ajar and bilge wet, cooking in the TX heat. The boat had only 88 hours, but the mildew was everywhere. It's work, but you can beat it down. Plenty of threads on mildew control.

Our first action was to purchase a small dehumidifier which we placed on the countertop to drain into the galley sink. Really dried out the boat.

(I could have run the AC, but is drained into the bilge. Thanks so much for the suggestions above)!
Congratulations on your new boat. Ours sat at Texoma and had a wet bilge due to some leaks. Using the sink drain is a great idea for a dehumidifier. Thanks. I am adding a hatch board vent and a solar vent in the main salon small hatch to get air moving. My fixed ports also leak but they are taped up for now pending re bedding. She’s got a pretty long list of neglected maintenance items but they are coming down. Posting head renewal and reconfigured lockers next.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Congratulations on your new boat. Ours sat at Texoma and had a wet bilge due to some leaks. Using the sink drain is a great idea for a dehumidifier. Thanks. I am adding a hatch board vent and a solar vent in the main salon small hatch to get air moving. My fixed ports also leak but they are taped up for now pending re bedding. She’s got a pretty long list of neglected maintenance items but they are coming down. Posting head renewal and reconfigured lockers next.
So, I am baffled why the Venturi drain is not standard equipment. I ordered the MarvAir unit from Defender at about $160.00. There are really only three parts that are non standard: The strainer, the 1/4” check valve and the Venturi fitting. Still, $160 is worth it compared to the other drain options. Took about an hour to install it. Filled the drain pan with a couple of quarts of water and turned on the AC. Worked great!
Yes, the drain pan is rusty. I’ll put it on the Winter Project list but for now I am content to have a dry bilge.
Also, cut a 5” hole in the small main salon hatch and installed the solar vent from Amazon. Added a louvered hatch board and now have 24/7 air flow through the boat.
Thanks to all for the advice and thinking these two issues through.

Attachments